Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chad Rosenthal 272 posts 474 karma points
    Feb 21, 2013 @ 15:52
    Chad Rosenthal

Using Umbraco 6, how would I create panels using different templates?

We're making what is essentially a site that contains multiple pages that each contain multiple panels. Each panel is going to contain different information and a different layout. They want to be able to add X number of panels onto each page, and they want to be able to use different panels in whatever order they so choose. .

So I was thinking that I'd create a document type per panel type. I would then create the actual panel content in a sub folder that is not part of the main website. Since the panels are interchangeable, I was thinking that I'd add them similar to how one would add widgets to a page, (aka using a Multi-Node Tree Picker).

I will then create a content page, and select which panels I want to display. I'd have a user control / partial layout that reads the values from the MNTP and gets the content from those panels. 

The issue that I can't wrap my head around yet, is whether or not I can grab the template for the different panels so that I can display the content of each panel appropriately and dynamically.

Did any of that make any sense?

I guess an example of this would be https://www.greendot.com/greendot where each of the main navigation items was it's own 'panel'. Each 'panel' looks different and contains completley different layouts.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Feb 21, 2013 @ 16:31
    Rich Green

Hey Chad,

I'm not sure if I understood your needs 100%.

However sounds like you need something like uComponents RenderTemplate?

Rich

Feb 21, 2013 @ 18:56
    Chad Rosenthal

That sounds like exactly what I would need. I'll give this a try.

Feb 21, 2013 @ 18:58
    Chad Rosenthal

Do you know if it works in MVC? Or only as a user control.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft