Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Thomas 3 posts 33 karma points
    Feb 22, 2013 @ 12:32
    Thomas

The type 'xxxx.xxxx' is ambiguous: it could come from assembly...'

Hello

I am very new to Umbraco and ASP.NET. I have seen the first couple of Umbraco TV videos, but i have run into a problem. I have searched the forum and elsewhere, but i haven't managed to find an answer that solved my problem.

I am doing exactly as in the video "Using .NET User Controls" (http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/introduction-to-umbraco/developer-introduction/using-net-user-controls/TVPlayer)

I have created the user control, copied the .dll and .pdb to the Umbraco bin-folder. And copied the helloworld.ascx (which also copis the ".ascx.cs" and ".ascx.designer.cs") to the Umbraco usercontrols folder.

Then i create a Macro, choose the right .net usercontrol, save and put it in the template.

I get the following error when i check the page:
    Error creating control (~/usercontrols/mowp.ascx).
    Maybe file doesn't exists or the usercontrol has a cache directive, which is not allowed! See the tracestack for more information!

In the "Browse properties" windows i see this error :
    "System.Web.HttpParseException (0x80004005): The type 'mowp.mowp' is ambiguous: it could come from assembly 'c:\users\[....]\Umbraco3.DLL' or from assembly 'c:\users\[....]\mowp.DLL'. Please specify the assembly explicitly in the type name."

How can i fix this?

Feb 22, 2013 @ 13:21
    Thomas

By the way, i have tried cleaning the temporary directory

• Asif Malik 203 posts 339 karma points
    Feb 22, 2013 @ 17:48
    Asif Malik

Hi Thomas, in your usercontrol (and assoicated project) change your namespace so something completly different (eg Thomas.Test)

Feb 22, 2013 @ 19:32
    Thomas

Thanks!! That worked. I could have stared at this all day :D
    Can anyone explain why this is necessary? Just so i know for next time

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft