Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Feb 27, 2013 @ 04:07
    Nicholas Westby

Will Umbraco 6 Support Document Type Multiple Inheritance (Mixins)?

I've done quite a bit of searching to see if Umbraco 6 will support multiple inheritance of document types (I have seen a similar concept referred to as "mixins"). That is, a single document type with multiple parent document types. This is a feature that Umbraco 5 supports.

As best I can tell, I'll have to wait for Umbraco 7 for this feature (at least for a UI to make it usable). Is that correct?

Here are some links I used to research this issue:

1. U4-79: Change Document Type on Node
    2. U4-112: Document Type Enhancements
    3. U4-157: Add Mixins
    4. U4-923: ContentType Implementation
    5. U4-1353: Prepare Database for Container Document Type Changes
    6. U4-1690: V6 Compositions API Bug
    7. U4-1629: 6.0.0 Composition API Duplicate Tab Pages
    8. Umbraco 5 Document Types
    9. Document Property Inheritance

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Feb 27, 2013 @ 08:52
    Rich Green

Hi,

We're using Umbraco 6 with Mixins without an issue.

Rich

Feb 27, 2013 @ 09:08
    Nicholas Westby

Hi Rich,

My only real exposure to Mixins is this page (which appears to be targeted for Umbraco 4.5): http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/doctypemixins

Is that what you are using, or is there some other built-in feature related to Mixins that I'm unaware of?

Thanks,

Nick

Feb 27, 2013 @ 09:14
    Rich Green

Hey Nick,

Sorry, should have expanded.

We are actually using uSiteBuilder / uSiteBuilder Admin which supports 'Mixins' if you're looking to manage DocTypes in a better way which it seems you are then it's definately worth checking out.

Rich

Feb 27, 2013 @ 09:40
    Nicholas Westby

Looking into this a bit, it looks like uSiteBuilder (USB) is here: http://usitebuilder.vegaitsourcing.rs/ and uSiteBuilder Admin (USBA) is here: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/usitebuilder-admin .

The latter is built atop the former. I find it worrisome that USB hasn't been updated since 2011. On the other hand, the mixin functionality built into USBA is really neat. The ability to deploy document types with just code (by associating classes with document types), and the ability to compose document types by using an array of classes sounds potentially very useful (and should help us avoid unnecessary work). I will have to do some more research to ensure USB/USBA will work with our specific codebase (we do some MVC customizations and such, we will be hosting in Azure, and it seems it requires full trust which may be a problem for some), but this may hold us over until Umbraco supports multiple document type inheritance.

I also see that the source code is available for USBA, so it might be possible that I can just extract the mixin code and use it for my purposes.

However, if somebody who knows more about multiple document type inheritance happens across this thread, please to let the rest of us know what the plan is.

Thanks, Rich!

Feb 27, 2013 @ 09:50
    Rich Green

Hey Nicholas,

The uSiteBuilder project is a little of date, we are using USBA, we might be using a different version than the one hosted here with Umbraco 6, I'll come back to you.

Rich

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft