Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Mar 14, 2013 @ 13:13
    Dave Woestenborghs

Surfacecontroller and ajax request to action

Hi,

I build a surfacecontroller with a action for fetching data from umbraco documents and combining it with custom data from a webservice and returns a view with a custom model. The action has one optional parameter.

public class MyController : SurfaceController
        {

public ActionResult MyAction(string myparameter)
            {
                var nodes = this.Umbraco.AssignedContentItem.Descendants("myDoctypes");

//do somestuff with the nodes here to create my custom model

return PartialView("MyView", myModel);  
        }
    }

When I call the action from a template everything works fine. But when I try to call the same action from ajax or the browser (e.g. http://mydomain/mycontroller/myaction/myparameter) like I would do with regular MVC I get a error and my action is never called.

Looking at the documentation I see all request get routed to umbraco/surface/{controller}/{action}/{id}.

So when I call http://mydomain/umbraco/surface/mycontroller/myaction/myparameter my action is called but I can't get the correct Umbraco Context, so I can't access my Umbraco content. 

How should this be done ?

Dave

Mar 15, 2013 @ 10:49
    Dave Woestenborghs

Anyone ?

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5269 karma points MVP 2x
    Mar 15, 2013 @ 18:20
    Shannon Deminick

What do you mean by the 'correct umbraco context' ?

The request you are making is completely outside of the Umbraco process, this is simply just a regular Http request so there is no AssignedContentItem.

Mar 15, 2013 @ 20:12
    Dave Woestenborghs

I was just wondering what 'best practice' for Ajax request would be in Umbraco. I already solved it by creating a second action which takes the parameter of the node calling the action.

So problem solved.

Dave

Mar 22, 2013 @ 10:11
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Shannon,

I'm having a problem using dictionary items in a surface controller action when called by ajax.

public ActionResult NewsList(int id)
            {
                UmbracoHelper helper = new UmbracoHelper(this.UmbracoContext);

IPublishedContent content = helper.TypedContent(id);
                var newsNodes = content.AncestorOrSelf(1).Descendants("News");

List<News> newslist = //code to get some extra data

return PartialView("NewsListSmall", model: newslist.OrderByDescending(n => n.Date).ToList());
            }

In my view I use dictionary items.

@Umbraco.Field("#More")

When I call the action from a template everything works fine.

If I call the action from a ajax request without using dictionary items it works fine too. But when I call it from a ajax request and try to access dictionary items it fails. I get the following error on the code of the dictionary item:

Cannot return the IPublishedContent because the UmbracoHelper was constructed with an UmbracoContext and the current request is not a front-end request.

Any idea how to solve this.

Dave

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Mar 22, 2013 @ 13:22
    Charles Afford

Hi, i had the same problem.  I think.  There is a fix coming for this that allows you to be able to get the context using ajax.  What i ended up doing was setting my node id property in my custom model in my view (Where you can get the currentId).  :).  Then i can get the node by id in the controller using the node id i set in my view.  Hope this helps :)

Mar 22, 2013 @ 13:30
    Dave Woestenborghs

I think the problem the current culture is not set when a action on a surfacecontroller is called directly 

Dave

Mar 22, 2013 @ 16:50
    Dave Woestenborghs

I found a solution for my problem.

Instead of using @Umbraco.Field syntax to display dictionary items, I now use @Umbraco.GetDictionaryValue("More") and that seems to work just fine.

Dave

• Mark Bowser 273 posts 860 karma points c-trib
    Feb 19, 2016 @ 21:30
    Mark Bowser

I had this same problem and retrieving the dictionary items using Umbraco.GetDictionaryValue instead of Umbraco.Field did the trick for me as well. You just saved me a lot of hours. Thank you so much.

Mar 23, 2013 @ 14:09
    Charles Afford

glad you managed to solve it.  Can i ask why you have that logic in your controller?  What is it doing?  Charlie :)

Mar 25, 2013 @ 10:56
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Charles,

I the code in my controller get's data from umbraco and a webservice and creates a list of custom models. 

Dave

Mar 25, 2013 @ 22:45
    Charles Afford

Ahhh i see, thanks :)

• Mark 255 posts 612 karma points
    Oct 28, 2013 @ 10:57
    Mark

As this is a similar thread and all the key people are watching it. I'm having an issue specified: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/api-questions/45776-Calling-Surface-Controller-From-Ajax. I'd really appreciate it if someone could have a quick look. Thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft