Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Thangapandi 4 posts 24 karma points
    Sep 05, 2009 @ 05:54
    Thangapandi

Appending the content in a page as a record

Hi,

I am using umbraco 4, IIS 6 on win 2k3. I have the following requirement

I have address page, Document type is defined already. I want to add the address of the employee who joines to our company.

For example:

Record 1----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name :                Tom tik                               Designation : Finance manager                      |         This

Dept :                  Accounts                           DOB             : 23/12/1980                                |        is a space for

Date of Joining : 12/10/2007                                                                                                 |        photo of employee

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Record 2----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name :                Tom tik                               Designation : Finance manager                      |         This

Dept :                  Accounts                           DOB             : 23/12/1980                                |        is a space for

Date of Joining : 12/10/2007                                                                                                 |        photo of employee

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is not a input form. This is just TEXT / content in the above format.  i have defined propery for the above fields in document type

How do i append the addresses on the same page as record.  These addresses should store as node like any other content. No custom DATABASE manipulation involved

Any idea to accomplish this?

• bob baty-barr 1180 posts 1294 karma points MVP
    Sep 05, 2009 @ 06:17
    bob baty-barr

so if you have a documentType for Emplyoyee... you could create another docType for employeeAddress adn allow nodes of that docType to be created under the employee.

that way each employee could have an address right under it in the node structure. you could write a simple macro to list the address right with the emploee on the employee page.

• Thangapandi 4 posts 24 karma points
    Sep 05, 2009 @ 06:53
    Thangapandi

Yes, you are correct. This is can be implemented as you suggessted. if this is a case, I need to create address content sub page for each and every addresses. But i don't want create content sub page for each and every addresses.

I want to handle all the address as record in the SAME CONTENT PAGE.

There is an alternate way, we can add custum section (Employee profile) in umbraco UI, and writing .net user control as a employee input/grid form. Then the user can add / update the address content.

I would appreciate, if you could provide any other solution.

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Sep 05, 2009 @ 08:27
    Chris Koiak

bob's approach is the most adviced. In relational terms the addresses are child nodes of the emplyee record and should be separate.

However you may want to think about writing your own data type that loads and saves the child nodes fields directly in the parent page.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft