Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Danzig 32 posts 52 karma points
    Mar 26, 2013 @ 03:52
    Danzig

Global content, editable.

Hi 

Haven't used Umbraco for a long time - never knew it very well in the first place!  I have a site running Umbraco 4.5.2.  It has a template with two editable fields and a bunch of content pages - all works well.  

Now I need to add an editable field (for use by the client) that will be displayed on all pages.  ie. Edit once - changes reflected on all pages.  

So it's the equivalent of editing the template, except that it's for the client so they need a nice client-friendly way of doing it without access to the settings/developer sections.

I saw the same question asked here (http://our.umbraco.org/forum/templating/templates-and-document-types/22906-Global-Editable-Content) but honestly I didn't understand the answer well enough to know where to start.

Help appreciated!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 26, 2013 @ 06:41
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Danziq

Usually fields like that are placed on a settings node or on the root node of the website. I prefer making it on the root node since it's then easier to handle if you have a multi-language setup.

So I imagine you probably have a documenttype called something like "Frontpage", which has some tabs. I would create another tab called "Settings" and place the editable field there with a meaninfull label.

Now you just need to fetch that data using some XSLT or C# code. I can make up an XSLT example if you would like?

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft