Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Meni 271 posts 507 karma points
    May 01, 2013 @ 02:31
    Meni

Media Picker or Upload property?

Hello

I have a magaine which update on a daily basis. Right now I'm using the media picker property in the on-going news pages document type to upload images to the news. However, by using the media picker I can't create thumbnails to each picture I'm upload. So I want to use the upload picker but from all the posts / turorial I was read till now I got the impression that it's not reccomended to use the Upload property and the right way is to use the media picker. The problem is that with the media picker I can't get the Thumbnails for each picture I'm upload. If I'll use the Upload property though - I couldn't handle the image I'm upload. As well as - is it possible to control where the Image will be store? 

I'm already confused. Just need to create 3 thumbnails for each image I'm upload. 

I don't want to use the ImageGen - just make it programically if possible (I'm using 6.0.4 - Razor - no xslt no XML etc)

Thanks. 

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    May 01, 2013 @ 05:08
    Tom Fulton

Hi Meni,

I might be mistaken, but I think even if you use the Media Picker you should still get thumbnails.  In the end, the Media item still uses the Upload field (on the umbracoFile property), so it should get all the benefits that come with the Upload field too.  Are you not getting thumbnails generated for your media items?  You should check the settings for the Upload datatype to make sure they're configured there maybe.

I know you said you don't want to use ImageGen, but that's what I'd reccomend doing so you don't have to worry about sizes changing later and having all the files on disk.

If you want to use the Upload property instead of the Media Picker, that's just fine, the only downside is you can't easily re-use that media on another node (not sure if that's an issue for you)

-Tom

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft