Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Meni 251 posts 487 karma points
    May 01, 2013 @ 20:47
    Meni

Does the Media picker generate Thumbnails?

And if yes - how can I access them? With RazorThanks.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 01, 2013 @ 21:11
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Meni

In short, yes the media picker generates thumbnails for display in the Umbraco backoffice.

In order to generate a thumbnail from the image chosen you should look into using either imageGen or Cropup or maybe both - Try searching for the packages. There should also be plenty of Razor documentation for the cropup package to get you going.

Hopet this helps.

/Jan

May 02, 2013 @ 01:02
    Meni

I'm still confused - if it's generate so why should I use the ImageGen? Why not just use the Thumbnail that the Media Picker automatically generate? And how do I access them? Thanks.

May 02, 2013 @ 05:42
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Meni

As I mentioned above the created thumbnail is only being displayed in the umbraco backoffice and can't be fetched using Razor or XSLT etc.

Therefore you need to handle the image using one of the two pacakges or in combination with each other. Try giving CropUp a spin for instance and read the documentation. I think that will "unconfuse" you :)

/Jan

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    May 02, 2013 @ 08:12
    Rich Green

Hey Meni,

You can get thumbnails created, I'm not sure why anyone would be resistant to use ImageGen, there are no downsides and it's free.

With imageGen you can make all your images the same size for your website, if in future you need to alter the size of a thumbnail on your side you just have to change one line of code and all your image sizes will change.

ImageGen caches the thumbnails unless a new size is requested, so it's a perfect solution for thumbnails, probably the reason most Umbraco devs have it in their standard install.

Rich

May 02, 2013 @ 23:57
    Meni

Hi Rich,

The reason I don't want to use ImageGen is because I want as much as less plugins / external packages , etc - and if you ask why, so the simple answer is once you want to move to other host you need to start check what is your all installed packages, etc. and then you need to find them, download them again, check if the current version is match etc etc - don't want all this. Therefore I prefer to use something which is built in - maybe the Webimg

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    May 03, 2013 @ 08:23
    Rich Green

Hi Meni,

Umbraco packages do not install 'to the server', there is no need to reinstall them if you move, they are as much a part of your website as a media item, template or data in your database!

If you really want to get the most out of Umbraco use the many fantastic packages available.

It is your choice I guess :)

Rich

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    May 03, 2013 @ 10:04
    Charles Afford

I use image cropper becuase it gives me a file a thumbnail.  When i create a crop it gives the thumbnail  a new name that i can then access in code.  Dont know if this helps.

May 09, 2013 @ 11:15
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Meni

As Rich is saying the packages don't install on the server. However some packages create new tables in the database. But since you would have to do a full backup of the database to change database server anyway that does not really matter.

Many Umbraco devs do their own Umbraco boilertemplate and I know a lot of them always include standard values, imagegen, damp, ucomponents and the cropup package since these are some of the most valuable packages that makes Umbraco development easy.

I think it's savvy not wanting to bloat your installation with a bunch of 20+ packages since that can perhaps cause trouble - but don't go make your life harder being subborn about it since there really is no issue if you choose to change hosting one day. Then your concern is to figure out if the new host supports Umbraco if it's a shared host. If it's a new dedicated server it's up to you to make sure it's configured correctly and then copy the DB and website files.

Just my 2 cents.

Hope it helps.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft