Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gary 8 posts 28 karma points
    May 24, 2013 @ 19:12
    Gary

Company Blog error in Business starter kit

Yesterday, I installed Umbraco from the Windows Azure templates, version 6.x.  When I clicked on the "Company Blog" section in the nav bar then clicked on the "Company Blog Post" link I got this error.

-------------------------

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

------------------------

Since this in in the Windows Azure cloud, I don't think I can run this from the local server machine and I don't know how to modify the web.config file so that it will show me the error.

I am using the business starter kit in an attempt to sell Umbraco to the company mangement and the first thing we try to do results in an error.  I was really counting on the fact that the starter kits would all work.

Can anyone help me identify and then correct the error in the starter kit? 

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 25, 2013 @ 11:12
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Gary and welcome to our :)

I'm no expert in using Azure hosting but I suspect that the chosen starter kit would not work if it was installed in a traditional way.

If I remember correctly the blog used in the mentioned starter kit is based on some old code that is no longer kept up to date and hence not working.

So instead of us trying to figure out the error let's focus on your aim.

Do you need the blog or do you just want to play around with Umbraco to figure it out and get started? Because then I recommend that you make a clean Umbraco installation instead and then install this package as a basis http://our.umbraco.org/projects/starter-kits/standard-website-mvc

But let us know a bit more what you want to achieve - then it will be easier to point you in the right direction.

/Jan

• Gary 8 posts 28 karma points
    May 28, 2013 @ 01:18
    Gary

Thanks Jan for the quick relply.

I wanted to install the business starter kit because it seemed to be fairly close to what we are looking for.  I was hoping that one of the starter kits would give us a good jumpstart and then we could make modifications from there.

I installed one of the other starter kits and that kit seemed to work. 

Our company management is doing some preliminary evaluations of CMS and I am hoping to push for an Umbraco implementation over WordPress because our existing website is an Classic ASP application which I am hoping to be able to use Umbraco to upgrade the CMS part of the website and a .Net solution would be preferable to me.

Thanks,
    Gary

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft