Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Sep 24, 2009 @ 21:14
    Amir Khan

Multilingual site node's in different languages

I'm developing a multilingual site using this book:

http://umbraco.org/documentation/books/multilingual-11-sites

I don't see how I can have the node names, which are used for my nav, change langauge with the navigation selector?

I see how the content is selected and delivered based on language...

Am I just missing something?

Thank you!

-Amir

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Sep 24, 2009 @ 23:09
    Dirk De Grave

Amir,

Do you need the node names to be different in each language? I can see a solution but not sure if that would fit your situation. You could add an addtional  property per document (Alias = umbracoUrlAlias) and add the node name for the 'other' languages. See this wiki page for more info.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Sep 28, 2009 @ 16:40
    Amir Khan

Dirk,

To clarify, it doesn't really matter to me if the url changes according to the language. What I'm concerned with is changing the page title and the display name of the node in sitemap/navigation.

Thank you,

Amir

• Tim 225 posts 690 karma points
    Sep 28, 2009 @ 18:24
    Tim

Hi,

The simplest way is to add a document property to each language for the page title. You can then use this wherever you would have used the nodeName instead.

This page in the tutorial describes how to retrive the property. You will need to customise your navigation XSL to use this for instance.

We actually do this as pretty much standard on all our Umbraco websites because we often want the URL, page title and navigation text to be slightly different for SEO purposes.

T

Oct 05, 2009 @ 22:27
    Amir Khan

So,

I'm finally beginning to implement the 1:1 site. Do I have to write a macro for every bit of text i want? I created the tabs as per the book "bodyText_en," "bodyText_ru" etc. Can i not just swap them in the templates? I really don't get what i'm missing.

Thank you,

Amir

• Karin 4 posts 70 karma points
    Jan 29, 2010 @ 17:35
    Karin

Hi, I'm having the same issue, I have set up this 1:1 implementation and want language specific content, navigation and also (seo friendly) url's.

I have added language specific generic properties for the navigation + url (pageAlias, pageAlias_en), titles (pageTitle, pageTitle_en) and content (pageContent, pageContent_en). Now with this 1-1 tutorial I can generate some english words on the page with the dictionary and translate the navigation items, but I'm not sure how to get the url's in english to actually show the right page with the english content?

Did you eventueally figure out how to do this? Thanks for any help.

Karin

• dimi309 245 posts 579 karma points
    Feb 04, 2010 @ 20:54
    dimi309

Hello everyone,

Amir I know your post is older but anyway, here's my two cents...

You can use the 1-1 tutorial and build a macro (I do not remember if this is described in the tutorial) which takes the property you want to translate as a parameter. Below is the corresponding xslt I am using right now. (Regarding part of it, apologies for the "copyright"... I do not remember how much comes from the tutorial itself). I use this macro in the templates instead of the properties themselves, and I pass the property name as a parameter (without the language extension). My default language is English by the way so for that one I do not add the _en extension to the property name when I create the property. I also add an "isactive_[language]" property (true/false) for each language to each document type to allow the user to specify whether the language is available or not. If it is false the macro defaults to english.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE xsl:stylesheet [
      <!ENTITY nbsp "&#x00A0;">
    ]>
    <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" exclude-result-prefixes="msxml umbraco.library Exslt.ExsltCommon Exslt.ExsltDatesAndTimes Exslt.ExsltMath Exslt.ExsltRegularExpressions Exslt.ExsltStrings Exslt.ExsltSets " xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" xmlns:msxml="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt" xmlns:umbraco.library="urn:umbraco.library" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltCommon="urn:Exslt.ExsltCommon" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltDatesAndTimes="urn:Exslt.ExsltDatesAndTimes" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltMath="urn:Exslt.ExsltMath" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltRegularExpressions="urn:Exslt.ExsltRegularExpressions" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltStrings="urn:Exslt.ExsltStrings" xmlns:Exslt.ExsltSets="urn:Exslt.ExsltSets">
        <xsl:output method="xml" omit-xml-declaration="yes"/>
        <xsl:param name="currentPage"/>
        <xsl:include href="../xslt/lang_lib.xslt"/>
        <xsl:template match="/">
            <xsl:variable name="field">
                <xsl:value-of select="/macro/field"/>
            </xsl:variable>
            <xsl:variable name="isactive">
                <xsl:value-of select="$currentPage/data[@alias = concat('active', $flang)]"/>
            </xsl:variable>
            <xsl:choose>
                <xsl:when test="$isactive=1">
                    <xsl:value-of disable-output-escaping="yes" select="$currentPage/data[@alias = concat($field, $flang)]"/>
                </xsl:when>
                <xsl:otherwise>
                    <xsl:value-of disable-output-escaping="yes" select="$currentPage/data[@alias = $field]"/>
                </xsl:otherwise>
            </xsl:choose>
        </xsl:template>
    </xsl:stylesheet>

Karin, for different pages per language Umbraco already provides support without the need to write code. You are supposed to copy the entire site, translate the copy and establish a sort of relationship between the two. This is the relevant tutorial I had watched for this:

http://umbraco.tv/documentation/videos/for-site-builders/running-multiple-sites/structure,-domains-and-languages

But if you are using the 1:1 method of the tutorial, I am not sure if it is good to create a different page per language. What I do is use the 1:1 method for everything. What I described above works for me for a site in many languages with no problems.

Best regards

Feb 25, 2010 @ 22:39
    Amir Khan

Dimitri, Good stuff, thank you.

• nope 6 posts 26 karma points
    Aug 09, 2010 @ 19:01
    nope

If you're interested in having your company's QMS certified, you could use the help of ISO consultants. Before you even start looking for one though, it is well worth asking if the extra help is worth the additional expense.http://www.column5.com/epm-implementation.php">SAP EPM

• vicente 3 posts 23 karma points
    Aug 11, 2010 @ 12:23
    vicente

Sometimes, there is a need for covert GPS vehicle tracking. There just is. You might not like the fact that at any point someone could be tracking your movements with a GPS tracking device.http://gpsintel.com/">law enforcement gps tracking

Aug 25, 2010 @ 18:36
    vicente

A good SEO Company will be of immense help in generating greater traffic volumes to your website and achieving higher ranks in organic search results of widely used search engines.http://web-op.com/arizona_seo_search_engine_optimization.php">seo company arizona

Sep 07, 2010 @ 16:33
    vicente

There are a lot of different limousine rental service companies out there, each one offering its customers some unique services and additions aside from the basic or standard service offered.phoenix limo

Sep 08, 2010 @ 15:59
    nope

Many folks setting up wireless home networks rush through the job to get their Internet connectivity working as quickly as possible.http://pinnaclesecurity.com/">home security monitoring

• briantan 2 posts 22 karma points
    Sep 10, 2010 @ 18:48
    briantan

Failure to plan advertising in advance wastes a lot of your money. Rush charges, poor vehicle choices, rate increases, poor creative and poor copy are common results of failing to plan in advance. Phoenix advertising agency

Sep 24, 2010 @ 16:48
    nope

Beware of cold-call solicitations when you are considering selling your gold, and of mobile offices set up in temporary locations. Make sure you are dealing with a reputable outfit.http://www.goldstash.com/sell-silver-coins.php">sell silver coins

• cris2per 3 posts 23 karma points
    Oct 26, 2010 @ 21:01
    cris2per

You can just use babelfish.

phoenix seo

• angkuh 1 post 21 karma points
    Dec 07, 2012 @ 12:27
    angkuh

I have some multi lungual site which can be inspiration for you. These are about viviscal, body by vi, virus removal and document management.

• Ajun 1 post 21 karma points
    Jun 08, 2013 @ 06:00
    Ajun

Hey angkuh, it's site about medicine. Here is mine about geodesic dome greenhouse

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft