Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Meni 243 posts 479 karma points
    Jul 19, 2013 @ 15:37
    Meni

Backup website in Umbraco

Not sure if it's the right forum - anyway ..So the question is (very simple..): How do I backup my website - database and template? 1. Database - is there any simple way to do it? And the more complicated: 2. Template / Theme: like, in WP you just choose the ZIP file and the template is on. In Umbraco however, there's all the document types, and the template must match the tree with all the nodes - so how do I do it? Like, if for example I chage my host and move to other server - do I need to declare from new all the document types? (And I have a lot ..)As well as - my template contain few files - how do I create one package? And what about the tree in the user section? Thanks.

• Richard 146 posts 168 karma points
    Jul 19, 2013 @ 16:18
    Richard

When I have needed to move sites to a new server I would:

1. Database backup - get content and document types
    2. ZIP up the web site folder - Umbraco binaries, XSLT, master templates, uploaded media items etc.

The only issue is if you are transferring to a version of SQL Server that is lower than the one on the existing site. In which case you may have to use the SQL "Create Script" to create the back as a series of "INSERT" commands.

You could create Umbraco packages, but I would recommend this approach first.

Richard

Jul 28, 2013 @ 18:06
    Meni

Thanks,

The question is: How do I backup the MS SQL DB ... ?

Didnt find any [good] guyde to this ...

btw, from search here in the forum just realized that I'm not the first who ask it. Someone here even suggested to add it to the CMS as an two clicks process ... - so It will be easy..

Until then - how do I do it?

Thanks

Jul 29, 2013 @ 10:42
    Richard

Hi Meni,

To back up an SQL Server DB, the steps, along with screen shots are at:

How do I backup my MS SQL Server 2005 database

Although this is SQL 2005, it is the same on SQL 2008. As it says in step one, you need "SQL Server Management Studio". If the SQL server is on the same network as your workstation, you can run this from your own computer, otherwise you will need to Remote Desktop to the computer running SQL Server.

SQL Server Management Studio is under  the Start menu "All Programs/Microsoft SQL Server XXXX", where XXXX is the version 2005, 2008.

The other things to note is that at step 6, where you define the location of the backup file, this is on the computer running SQL Server and not the computer where you are running SQL Server Management Studio, so you will need to connect to this computer to get the backup file; and you need to add the ".bak" extension to the filename. If you do not, when you do a restore it will not appear as a selectable file.

A fuller version of the steps can be found at:

How to Backup a SQL Server 2005 Database

The steps to restore a database are on the link below. The only other recommendation I would give is first create the empty database, you can then define where the data files are saved and that the log file grows by 10 MB and not a percentage:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/how-do-i-restore-a-sql-server-database-to-a-new-server-80916/

If you are moving to a new SQL Server instance, for example onto a different server, you will then need to "fix" the user account GUIDs, ask if you need to know how to do this.

Richard

Aug 01, 2013 @ 14:04
    Meni

Hi, Thanks for the detail guide. But, what about shared hosting ... ?

Aug 01, 2013 @ 14:07
    Richard

With the shared hosting company that I have experience of, I simply logged a support request to get a backup of the database or provided them with the database backup for them to restore to your instance of the database.

Richard

Aug 01, 2013 @ 23:48
    Meni

Hi Richard, 

So apparently my host also enable through the control panel to create a .bak file of the DB - Is it enough? Like, can I restore the .bak on any other server? 

• Arie 224 posts 675 karma points
    Aug 02, 2013 @ 01:00
    Arie

It's not a problem to restore a SQL backup to another SQL server, but you may have to re-establish the service accounts. By the way, which version of SQL are you using?

Aug 02, 2013 @ 10:31
    Richard

Yes, as Arie says, all you need is the .bak file to restore the database. The only issue is you will get an error if you try to restore a backup from a newer version of SQL server onto an older version, so if the hosting company has used SQL 2008 R2, you will won't be able to restore with a backup file to SQL 2008.

You will have a "problem" with the use account that accesses the database, this can be fixed as described here (once you have restored the database). If you are sending it to another hosting company then this will not apply:

http://www.fileformat.info/tip/microsoft/sql_orphan_user.htm

Richard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft