Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Sep 30, 2009 @ 20:14
    Amir Khan

Perplexing multilingual font situation

Okay,

I've been given a website that is to be made in English and Russian. The designers chose a typeface, which will be used for navigation and headings via sIFR, that doesn't have cyrillic characters, so they've chosen a second typeface for the Russian headings and navigation.

Does anyone see a way to template this using the 1:1 model or do I have to build 2 separate sites?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Amir

• Stephan Lonntorp 195 posts 212 karma points
    Sep 30, 2009 @ 20:49
    Stephan Lonntorp

First off, I'd use Cufón, and not sIFR, that way you could simply reference a .js file from your start page. Of course, the same thing could be done with a .swf file...

//S

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Sep 30, 2009 @ 21:44
    Amir Khan

True, and Cufon rocks. But how do i change the reference when there is actually only one page for each page of the site, it's just swapping the language based on a paramater?

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Sep 30, 2009 @ 22:37
    Douglas Robar

I would create a small macro that outputs different sifr or cufon code depending on the value of the $dlang or $flang variables, similar to how you handle fields in your 1:1 site.

Then, replace the static call to sifr/cufon in the <head> section of your template with your macro instead... it will output the proper code depending on the language being viewed.

cheers,
    doug.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft