Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tommy Pedersen 15 posts 65 karma points
    Aug 16, 2013 @ 12:32
    Tommy Pedersen

Help inserting richtext/simple editor into javascript variable

Hello there.

Im at the moment developing a site where i am using google maps api v3 and im trying to make it posible for the content editor to edit the content of an InfoWindow google.maps.InfoWindow with a richtext/simple editor my problem is when i insert the pagefield to the javascript variable controling the content of the InfoWindow, the content of the richtext editor is something like this <strong>Header</strong>Address field<a href="#">link</a> and i use the insert <br /> at linebreaks but when i insert the pagefield into my JavaScript code like this

var iContent = "<article id='infoWindow' style='overflow: hidden;'><umbraco:Item field="infoWindow" convertLineBreaks="true" recursive="true" runat="server" /></article>";

the data retrieved from the pagefield named infoWindow breaks out on more lines so the javascript code fails. i can fix this when adding \ to the end of all lines in the editor in the content section of umbraco. but this isn't optimal for the content editor if he wants to have tables/divs/other html stuff or something when he is editing the infowindows throughout the site.

Result getting atm(here it breaks the lines of output from the pagefield):

var iContent = "<article id='iWindow' style='overflow: hidden;'><strong>Header</strong><br />
        Knudsminde 7A<br />
        8300 Odder<br />
        <br />
        <a href='#' target='_blank'>Få rutevejledning</a><br /></article>";

wanted result for no javascript error(the html is retrieved in on line of code without line breaks that javascript cant handle):

var iContent = "<article id='iWindow' style='overflow: hidden;'><strong>Header</strong><br />Knudsminde 7A<br />8300 Odder<br /><br /><a href='#' target='_blank'>Få rutevejledning</a><br /></article>";

hope you understand my problem. and that somebody have a solution for this problem.

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12134 karma points MVP 9x admin c-trib
    Aug 20, 2013 @ 09:54
    Dave Woestenborghs

Can't you use a function to remove the line breaks ?

• Tommy Pedersen 15 posts 65 karma points
    Aug 27, 2013 @ 10:10
    Tommy Pedersen

any suggestions for how that function should be created i've tried to wrap it inside a javascript function which gives the same issue.

the posted javascript code breaks up like this when inserting it in a javascript function

var iContent;
    function test(var teststring) {
        iContent = teststring;
    }

test(<umbraco:Item field="infoWindow" convertLineBreaks="true" recursive="true" runat="server" />);

results in

test(<strong>Header</strong><br />
        Knudsminde 7A<br />
        8300 Odder<br />
        <br />
        <a href='#' target='_blank'>Få rutevejledning</a><br />);

and if i set it on a onload it like this

<body onload="test(<umbraco:Item field="infoWindow" convertLineBreaks="true" recursive="true" runat="server" />)">

results in

<body onload="test(<strong>Header</strong><br />
        Knudsminde 7A<br />
        8300 Odder<br />
        <br />
        <a href='#' target='_blank'>Få rutevejledning</a><br />)">

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft