Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Aneesh 10 posts 29 karma points
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 09:58
    Aneesh

Repeatable data content

Hi, 

I am just wondering is there any plugin to create dynamic content for a page i.e something similar to a data repeaters in .net. To make it simple it should be a section that should contains 5 to 6 fields/property like

• heading
    • heading 2
    • content - rich text editor
    • info

This must be in repeatable control so that the editor can add any number of these section a page and all these should be displayed in a single page.

Is there a plugin for the above functionality or what is the best way to achieve this.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Aneesh

• Jeavon Leopold 3072 posts 13628 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 10:05
    Jeavon Leopold

Hi Aneesh,

Take at look at Widget Builder and also Embedded Content (doesn't support RTE)

Thanks,

Jeavon

Aug 19, 2013 @ 11:46
    Aneesh

HI Jeavon, 

Thanks so much, that's what I exactly wanted except the fact that I can't use Richtext editor and also the Widget Builder is compatible only in version 4.11.x whereas the version I am using is 4.7.0. Is there any other plugin I can use for 4.7.0

Once again thanks for the links. 

Cheers

Aneesh

• Jeavon Leopold 3072 posts 13628 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 12:05
    Jeavon Leopold

HI Aneesh, unfortunately I think Embedded content is going to be the only option for v4.7.0 (I would highly recommend upgrade to v4.7.2 at the very least) but as you have noted it doesn't support RTE.

There is also uComponents DataType Grid but again I don't think it supports the RTE.

Otherwise I would recommend that you upgrade Umbraco to v4.11.10 and use Widget Builder then you will have RTE support.

Thanks,

Jeavon

• Martin Griffiths 826 posts 1269 karma points c-trib
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 12:25
    Martin Griffiths

Hi Aneesh

Being one who has gone through 4.0.4.2 to 4.7 to 4.10 to 4.11 on our biggest builds, it is well worth the effort, the hardest part is switching XML schemas and changing your XSLT accordingly.

But then you can write/rewrite in razor!

Martin.

Aug 20, 2013 @ 03:29
    Aneesh

Thanks Jeavon & Martin, I am really considering the options to upgrade but could you guys please elaborate what are the advantageous of upgrading it. I know you have more data types and more plugins for the latest version but would be better to give solid reasons to my client to pursue them to upgrade the version.

Also another request for the data repeater is that whether I can have a data repeater within a data repeater(Nested Repeaters). I know it would sound weird but the reason is I want certain fields within the repeatable control to be added dynamically by the editor. The reason for this is to achieve a image slider(rotating banner image along with the link) similar to http://jquery.malsup.com/cycle/pager.html in the repeatable section. So that the editors can add any number of images within the section and at the same time they can add multiple content sections. I played around with the above mentioned plugins to achieve this but no luck, any thoughts on this would be really helpful to me.We can achieve this wodpress using : http://www.advancedcustomfields.com/add-ons/repeater-field/

Thanks for your time.

Aneesh

• Martin Griffiths 826 posts 1269 karma points c-trib
    Aug 20, 2013 @ 10:43
    Martin Griffiths

Hi Aneesh

If you decide to upgrade it is a LOT of work, it took me about a two to three weeks of experimenting locally, and then once I was happy with the results we locked down our staging server for edits and spent about a day per site. Upgrading the build is relatively simple, you need to make sure you dump & replace dlls in BIN, replace the umbraco folders and do a code compare on the many config files, switch from data to App_data and then upgrade the database from the installer which is pretty automatic. Its best to remove as many package extensions as possible and upgrade the rest you must keep, generally treat the upgrade as a major housekeeping excercise!

There are two tools around to help you convert your XSLT to the new schema, I would say they're about 95% there. What does get missed is easy to fix.

When all is said and done the pain IS worth the gain.

We've found many features that were once buggy, work flawlessy up at Umbraco 4.11.10 over a wider range of browsers. Overall there are speed and stability improvements. 

If you code against any of the API's there are also gains to be had as many have been re-written and unified, but it really comes into it's own once you start to use razor. Personally I find coding in razor takes me back to the days of classic ASP (for all the wrong reasons). All that inline code & markup is quite messy and can be just as difficult to read as the XSLT at times, so not nessecarily any improvements there, but thats just my opinion! What you do get with razor is a single common language (C#) to code against the entire Umbraco API that debugs easily and beautifully. Tip: Make sure you have Visual Studio 2012 in your kit.

There is a fly in the ointment I have to mention and thats Courier. If you use Courier, dont expect the upgrade to Courier 2 to be anywhere near as successful. We've left our builds on Umbraco 4.11.10 (with a small patch) so that Courier 1.3 continues to function. Courier 2 unfortunately is not ready for primetime use, Tip: read the Courier forums carefully and form your own opinion if this affects you. On our smaller builds that dont require staging & production we use Umbraco 6.1 and full MVC views (in razor), so no more web forms.

Martin.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft