Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tommy Poulsen 514 posts 708 karma points
    Oct 04, 2009 @ 14:34
    Tommy Poulsen

"Template not saved" voodoo

Hi everyone, suddenly I get "Template not saved - please make sure you do not have 2 templates with the same alias" error when trying to save a newly created template on my hosted site. I'm copying the template content from a local installation to a new template on a hosted site. I have searched the forum for input, and other people experiencing this bug seem to have problems with 1) multiple templates with same alias, or 2) access rights. I have not installed any new packages recently.

I checked the db using the query mentioned here without finding any doubles.

The really weird thing is, that when I remove parts of the template content it suddenly seem to be able to save without errors, and it does not seem to be a specific part of the content raising the save error - instead it seems that it has to do with the size of the template which cannot exceed some magic size. I know this sounds like some kind of voodoo, but hopefully some of you can come up with a hint or two.

Thanks

>Tommy

• Ron Brouwer 273 posts 768 karma points
    Oct 04, 2009 @ 18:54
    Ron Brouwer

Hi Tommy,

I have the same problem ocasionally. however, when i press save (Ctrl + s) for the second time it works without changing the contents.

Ron

Oct 04, 2009 @ 19:13
    Tommy Poulsen

Hi Ron, thanks for your answer. On my existing tepmlates I can force the error message if I keep pressing ctrl+s, but it disapeears immediately again. On the new tepmlate, however, it keeps failing when the content string is "too long", whatever that means.

I tried creating yet another new dummy template, and it also fails on saving when the content string is "too long" - the limit in this case is much smaller than on my original template, so I cannot really grasp why I experience this behaviour.

>Tommy

• Ron Brouwer 273 posts 768 karma points
    Oct 04, 2009 @ 21:54
    Ron Brouwer

Have you checked that all accessrights are correct and that there is no readonly flag?
    One other thing you can check for is a quota on the disk. maybe your provider restricts you to a maximum of diskspace.

If nothing else works you can always restart the application pool. (that fixes a lot of strange errors)

Ron

Oct 04, 2009 @ 22:13
    Tommy Poulsen

Hmm, its getting more and more weird, I think.

The template is actually written, even though I get the error - at least the changes are visible in the Settings-section after reload. Hmm.

>Tommy

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    Oct 05, 2009 @ 02:30
    skiltz

Have you checked the file permission on the directory?

Oct 05, 2009 @ 07:51
    Tommy Poulsen

I have contacted my host about that - now waiting for response. It's just weird that I actually am allowed to save the file when the content is not too big.

Oct 05, 2009 @ 16:53
    Tommy Poulsen

After some investigations, the problem seemed to be due to my db quota hitting the limit, thus raising the error when the template were attempted written to db.

Thanks for your responses, guys.

>Tommy

• Connie DeCinko 931 posts 1160 karma points
    Jul 22, 2010 @ 20:15
    Connie DeCinko

Can you elaborate?  Mine was working fine yesterday.  But after installing and uninstalling several packages, I can only create new templates.  If I try and delete, the "deleting..." message never goes away.  And if I try and save changes, I get the error.  If I delete the file from the folder, then try and save, I get the error but the file saves.  It however saves the old version.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft