Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Carlos 338 posts 472 karma points
    Dec 12, 2013 @ 02:07
    Carlos

Old site and new site in same instance of Umbraco - switch

Hello,

I am working working on our site and I need to know if it is possible to take a complete copy of our site (using the admin panel) and creating a whole new site with it.  We have a huge rollout we need to do with a new look and feel and we need to review prior to release. How would we make our new site the "default" site once we are ready to go live?

Would there be any reprocussions to broken links or anything like that?

Example:

Home
    --SubPage
    --SubPage
    --ETC.

Home copy
    --SubPageCopy
    --SubpageCopy
    --SubpageCopy

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Jan 13, 2014 @ 15:34
    Dan Lister

Hi Carlos.

You should be okay to copy your current site and make a duplicate. When visiting your domain, if you haven't already specified hostnames for your sites within Umbraco, the first child node underneath Content will be used.

To make your new site the default site once you are ready to go live, add/move your domain to the 'Home copy' site. Right click the node and choose the 'Hostnames' option to manage this.

A concern I have with your approach would be regarding templates. Are you planning on creating new templates for the new site beacuse if you amend the existing tempaltes, your old site will be amended too?

Thanks,
    Dan. 

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Jan 14, 2014 @ 08:42
    Rich Green

I woudn't use the admin panel, I would copy the database and the files and set up a new site and make the changes there, then switch the hosting to point to the new site when ready.

Rich

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft