Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mikael Syska 24 posts 91 karma points
    Oct 18, 2009 @ 01:28
    Mikael Syska

Specify default page to be loaded.

Hi,

I'm new to umbraco ... so this might be a easy thing.

I have some content like this:

• Content
    • * MySite
    • ** News
    • *** First news
    • *** Second news
    • ** Contact

The stars in the structure above note the level ...

The news page uses a macro to print the news ... it works great. But when I use the same Template for the "MySite", ofcause it dont work, since it now parses the "News/Contact" as the 2 nodes, instead of "First news/Second news" as the 2 nodes.

So ... other than specify absuloute path in the XLTS file to get the news items, what can I do ?

I want the MySite/News page to be 100% the same ... so other work arounds are also welcome ...

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    Oct 18, 2009 @ 01:43
    skiltz

Crate a new XSLT file and take a look at the "List Sub Pages from a Changleable Source" template in the dropdownlist.  This wil allow you to specify the nodeid to which to load the "news" from.

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Oct 18, 2009 @ 02:07
    Kim Andersen

So actually you want to list all news items on your site, on "MySite" and "News", right?

If that is what you want, you can with XSLT, show all items with a certain template. I guess that all of your news-nodes have a special template?

If this is what you want you can use this XSLT:

<xsl:for-each select="$currentPage//node[@template='the_templateID']">
    ---do something---
    </xsl:for-each>

Remember to change the_templateID with the actual ID number. Well, I hope this gives you an idea of how it could be solved. And if you don't know anything about XSLT, speak up, and we will find a solution for this as well :)

Oct 18, 2009 @ 04:01
    Mikael Syska

Hi,

2 possible solutions ...

Its darn late here now so I guess I will return tomorrow when I have tried both suggestions.

Kim: Yes, I want the 2 pages to act like the same page.
    Atm I'm doing all markup in the XSLT files ... which can't be the best option. I read somewhere you could specify a template to use with the node in the XSLT file ... or do I remember wrong.

I have the following Document types:

• News area - where the news list are shown. this could probebly be removed, I'm still learning. But its the document type for the "News"
    • News item - A news item
    • News comment

Each got a template ... except "News comment" since it would be odd to display a single comment on a page.

So ... the template_id in the number written in the browsers "status bar" ?

I'm very very newbie at XSLT, but most of the stuff until now I have been able to google :-) but if you got any good resources, please do share them with me :-)

btw. Denmark rox. ( Mostly a comment to Kim Andersen )

Skiltz:
    Yours are the most easy to implement so for starter I will try yours ... still learning here ... so great with more opinions on every thing.

Thanks both.

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Oct 18, 2009 @ 14:47
    Kim Andersen

Hi Mikael

You'll find the tempalte id when you hover over the template in the Settings-section. when you hover over a template in the list of all your templates, you can see the id in the bottom of your browser, where it says: javascript:openTemplate(1047);

In the above example, 1047 is the tempalte id :)

But you could try out Skiltz's solutions first, and if that works, everything is good :)

Oct 18, 2009 @ 19:41
    Mikael Syska

Used the template answer for it. Seemed like the best option.

I would have marked both as an option, but its not possible to. I can't mark an answer as helpful, cause I dont have enough karma yet.

mvh

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft