Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt Bliss 176 posts 234 karma points c-trib
    Oct 19, 2009 @ 19:50
    Matt Bliss

Multiple elements within a single page

I'm trying to work out how I should handle multiple element types within a single page.

The site I am designing will have a column based design (lets say three columns). Each page in the site will have a navigation section (header) at the top a content section in the middle and a footer at the bottom. I can see how to set up the templates for the header and footer, it is the centre content I am unsure about.

In the content area I would like the user to be able to select from a number of predefined element types in any order and enter the related data for each one. Element types might be for example:

• A flash banner: data for title, description and image
    • A box that spans 1 column: data for title and text content
    • A box that spans 2 columns: ditto
    • A custom user control (written in .NET) 
    • etc.
    I'm not asking about the CSS or HTML, I'm looking for guidance on how to structure this. So far I have only come across examples of a Rich editor for the content area. I am sure that there is an obvious answer, but I am missing it! Can anyone point me at an example that would allow the user to choose the layout order and enter data in this way please.

• Chris Dunn 75 posts 127 karma points
    Oct 19, 2009 @ 21:47
    Chris Dunn

Sounds like they are just properties on a document type (Perhapes i'm making it too simple.)  You can have as many RTEs on a document type as you want so if you need one for each column content, you could do that.  The other properties are just media pickers, text boxes etc.

If the 3 columns are not always unique , such as 3 content sections, per node, you might want to look at creating templates versus document type properties.  Make sure you clearly define what's on the template, versus what's in the content.  Otherwise you will have a maintenance nightmare.

-:) Chris

• Matt Bliss 176 posts 234 karma points c-trib
    Oct 20, 2009 @ 00:29
    Matt Bliss

Thanks Chris for your reply!

I understood what you mean in the first paragraph of your reply, but I think that it is probably making it too simple. If there were 3 RTEs, one for each column, I can see how that could be done very easily, but it wouldn't provide the flexibility I am looking for. I probably didn't describe what I am aiming to do fully enough.

Although the design will allow for three columns the content for a page in the most simple case could be just one page item that spans all three columns, but in a more complex page there could be 20 or more page items spread across the 3 columns. Each of these page items would need to have their own data defined and their own presentation template. 

I didn't understand the meaning of 'templates versus document type properties', but it sounds like it might be on the right lines. Sorry if I am asking very basic questions!

Matt

Oct 20, 2009 @ 01:41
    Chris Dunn

Try looking at the custom content repeater http://our.umbraco.org/projects/repeatable-custom-content.  That might be what you're looking for.  I haven't worked with it yet but it sounds like it might meet your needs for a more flexible content structure.

You would then use a macro to format the display of that content.

What I meant by template vs document properties is to identify what should reside on a template (exists on many pages) versus the content unique to a given page.  So if the news is displayed on the right column on a series of pages, and a blog feed is displayed on others, create 2 different templates rather than providing a "news document property" and "blog feed document property" on the document type.  Your goal should make it as easy for you or your users to update content without lot's of mandatory fields, and instead have them simply select a template.  The basic goal is to prevent a "universal" document type.

Hope that helps.

-Chris

Oct 20, 2009 @ 01:44
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft