Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• smercer 39 posts 67 karma points
    Oct 21, 2009 @ 19:20
    smercer

The Concept of "Shared Content" in Umbraco (Best Practices)

Background

I am new to umbraco, but have many years experience in content management. There is a pattern that my team often implements, that I like to call "Shared Content".

"Shared Content" is not really part of the site's structure, and is not part of the main navigation of the site, but is shared accross multiple pages within the site.

Example

Take CNN for instance, or any news site. The may be a document type of "News Story". A specific "News Story" can appear on many News List Pages within the site. The News Story "Barack Obama Gives Big Speach" may appear on the Politics Page, The Home Page, and the "U.S. News" Page. However, the News Story document only exists once, but appears in the context of various parent News List Pages.

The Question

What is the best way to accomplish this with Umbraco. I saw in the wiki that there is an article on creating a Document Type called "content folder". Could I create a folder called "All News", then come up with a way to "attach" the News Stories to different news list pages?

Thanks.

• Ron Brouwer 273 posts 768 karma points
    Oct 21, 2009 @ 19:41
    Ron Brouwer

Hi,

What we usualy do is creating a repository:

Content
    - Site
    - Repository
    - - News
    - - Activities
    - - Category

You can use these contentitems to generate an overview using xslt
    Or you can select them on a document using the ultimate or content picker.

Ron

• smercer 39 posts 67 karma points
    Oct 26, 2009 @ 15:56
    smercer

Thanks, Ron....that is what I assumed.

How does the tree control in umbraco handle large lists in this setup? For example, I have a client that has over 1000 news stories in their repository.

• Rasmus Berntsen 215 posts 253 karma points c-trib
    Oct 26, 2009 @ 16:12
  • Ron Brouwer 273 posts 768 karma points
    Oct 26, 2009 @ 17:11
    Ron Brouwer

The nodes in the repo are not loaded by default, so it only matters when using umbraco.library:getXmlNodeById();
    I've never encountered any problems with large numbers.

Ron

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft