Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Oct 27, 2009 @ 15:23
    Kim Andersen

Error when trying to delete a field/property on a document type

On one of my templates, I get the following error when I try to delete a property from one of my templates:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.propertytype.PropertyType.delete() +107
       umbraco.controls.ContentTypeControlNew.gpw_Delete(Object sender, EventArgs e) +63
       umbraco.controls.GenericProperties.GenericPropertyWrapper.GenericPropertyWrapper_Delete(Object sender, EventArgs e) +55
       System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
       umbraco.controls.GenericProperties.GenericProperty.DeleteButton2_Click(Object sender, ImageClickEventArgs e) +55
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.OnClick(ImageClickEventArgs e) +97
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +160
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +28
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2980

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4016; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4016

I use Umbraco version 4.0.2.1 and IIS 7. And the site have been working perfectly before this error occured...

Anyone have some kind of soluton to this?

• Richard Soeteman 4045 posts 12893 karma points MVP 2x
    Oct 27, 2009 @ 16:52
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Kim,

I had the same problem the other day and build a custom usercontrol as a workarround to this bug. My plan was to write a blogpost about that but didn't find the time to do that. I will write the blogpost tonight and post a link in this thread.

Cheers,

Richard

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Oct 27, 2009 @ 17:08
    Kim Andersen

Looking forward to that Richard.

• Richard Soeteman 4045 posts 12893 karma points MVP 2x
    Oct 27, 2009 @ 21:14
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Kim,

I've just written the blogpost check it out here

Cheers,