Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter S 64 posts 106 karma points
    Oct 28, 2009 @ 11:13
    Peter S

a way to add a master document type afterwards?

I'm trying to add a new master document type, but I can't seem to tell the existing document types to change their parent. Is there a way to do this without recreating the existing doctypes?

I've tried to change the masterContentType field in the database in the cmsContentType table, but after doing that I get a .net error when clicking on a content page to edit it.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 28, 2009 @ 11:25
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Peter

I don't think it is possible at all at the time being. I am afraid that you only option is to either create a master type, and then create all the other doctypes from scratch inheriting from the new master.

Otherwise you have to add the general properties to all of your document types manually I think.

/Jan

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Oct 28, 2009 @ 12:52
    Aaron Powell

Jan is right, at the moment there is no way in which changing the parent of a document type is possible.

Architecturally this is quite difficult to achieve and it also raises a few questions which would need answering before it could be implemented such as:

• how do you handle properties of 'mandatory' on the new parent?
    • how do you handle property name clashes
    • how do you handle tab name clashes

And so on. It's a similar problem with the idea of changing document types. Unfortunately I can't think of a good way to answer those (and the other questions) in a generalised enough way which would solve the majority of scenarios.

• Peter S 64 posts 106 karma points
    Oct 28, 2009 @ 17:03
    Peter S

K, thanks for the quick replies. Luckily it only took me an hour to re-create the document types in the right structure.

• dennish 17 posts 41 karma points
    Nov 30, 2009 @ 10:34
    dennish

If you copy a document type you can chosse a master type for it. Less manual labour that way. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft