Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Erik 10 posts 51 karma points
    Apr 15, 2014 @ 21:39
    Erik

structuring document types and templates using folders

Hi,

Im trying to figure out if i want to use umbraco for creating a portal containing 10 sites.

After some fiddling around, i managed to configure 4 sites in 1 Umbraco installation.

Each site has its own set of templates and document type. But some doctypes and templates may also be shared among the sites.

1 thing i could not figure out is how to clearly structure the document types (and templates)

• I would really like group the document types for a site in its own folder.

• I would really like group the templates for a site in its own folder.

For example:

Site 1

• Home
    • Listing
    • Article

Site 2

• Home
    • about us
    • Contact

Site 3

• Home
    • BlogListing
    • BlogArticle

Shared

• PageBase
    • NewsListing
    • NewsArticle

Is it somehow possible to use a folder as a container for 1 or multiple document types?

(Similar to using a folder in the media library to structure large number of items.)

If not, is there an alternative?

Cheers,

Erik

• Carsten Fallesen 35 posts 154 karma points
    Apr 15, 2014 @ 22:05
    Carsten Fallesen

Hi Erik,

What you can do is create a document type without any properties and just use that as a folder. You can then create the documentypes as children of the folder document type. 

You will need to create a new document type for each of your folders.

You can use the same technique for templates if you want.

/Carsten

• Erik 10 posts 51 karma points
    Apr 16, 2014 @ 12:56
    Erik

Hi carsten,

Thanks for your answer. 

If i understand correctly, the workaround you provided will allow me to goup the doctypes for a specific site.

But it does not provide a solution for having a "shared" folder where i would place some base doctypes that are shared across multiple sites.

But i guess that is a limitation of the umbraco backend because inheriting from a doctype will cause the child doctype to be placed directly under the parent? (Which is disappointing IMHO)

Cheers, erik

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft