Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jordy van Eijk 7 posts 51 karma points
    Apr 29, 2014 @ 20:31
    Jordy van Eijk

Convert HTML5 template to Umbraco Site (Proof Of Concept)

Hi all, i'm quite new to Umbraco and as a proof of concept i want to translate an HTML5 template to an Umbraco website. The Template i bought is not the most simple one, but i think it's good to see how much time and effort it will take to translate it. I have a good understanding of MVC1 to 5 but i'm wondering if i need to use this. Razor is no problem.

The template can be seen here: Template the main issue i'm facing is how to start. What is a good way to create the document types. Is it wise for me to have an hierarchical structure in my site lets say.

• Home
      • Trips
        • Roadtrips
        • USA
        • Europe
        • Citytrips
        • USA
        • Specials
        • USA

where the countries are again subnodes of the triptypes.

Or do i need to make some stupid folder and fix that inside my templates?

The next question is if you take a look at Pages --> Details page, this is the detail page of a trip / hotel what is the best way for me to Create my DocumentType. Do i need to create some hierarchical structure inside my document type with a lot of tabs or do i need to make a single documenttype with its own template and tell the main trip document type to have those as subitems.

I hope somebody can help me with these questions. So i can go on with my proof of concept.

Kind Regards, Jordy van Eijk PS: I'm using Umbraco 7.1.1

• Sunshine Lewis 31 posts 140 karma points c-trib
    May 03, 2014 @ 20:59
    Sunshine Lewis

Hi Jordy,

Your content hierarchy will be separate/different from your document type hierarchy (which can/will be different from your template hierarchy).

If you want your content to use the structure you've listed that's fine (as far as Umbraco is concerned). Your next step might be to decide how the document types map to the pages you want.

• Are all trips the same or do road trips have different information from city trips?
    • Which pages are detail pages (showing one thing) and which are listing pages?
    • Which content will change (should be managed)and which is pretty static (can be part of the template)

You will probably need (at least) one doctype for each different template.

For the details page you can go several different ways and the way you choose should be based on what is easiest for your content and editors. With that said, hotel information that has it's own related data should probably be a separate doctype (things to do, reviews, room types, etc.) The photo gallery could be a separate thing OR a media picker property. All of the summations (average ratings, recommendations, number of reviews, etc) would be razor code that calculates that information.

You can relate the hotel document type to it's related content by making them child nodes or by selecting it with a picker. If it's content that is specific to the hotel(reviews), it makes sense to have it as a child of the hotel although you might want to create a reviews container document type to keep them organized. If it could be shared between hotels (things to do), then you might store them in a central location and use a picker.

Hope that helps and I would be interested to see how your project progresses.

• Jordy van Eijk 7 posts 51 karma points
    May 13, 2014 @ 19:43
    Jordy van Eijk

Hi Sunshine Lewis, thank you for your input, and excuse me for the late response. I was very busy last week. I will decide what the best way will be.

If i take a look at roadtrips for example i need to have some highlights which can be shared between different roadtrips or city trips. So i think i need to make a container document type called highlights in which i can persist multiple highlights which i can then add to my roadtrips / citytrips with a contentpicker. I think i will make multiple templates for each trip type (roadtrip, citytrip, specials, etc) and a master documenttype called trip which holds generic information about the trip and multiple documenttypes for each specific trip which can hold specific trip information that is not shared about trips if needed.

I think the ratings and recommendations will come later because i want to integrate that with contour but i still need to buy the component, but for the poc i can do without it...

Thanks again, Jordy

• Sunshine Lewis 31 posts 140 karma points c-trib
    May 13, 2014 @ 20:13
    Sunshine Lewis

Sounds like a plan!

You're welcome, Sunshine

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft