Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Garrett Fisher 341 posts 496 karma points
    Nov 04, 2009 @ 18:24
    Garrett Fisher

Custom URLs / Filenames

Hi,

As you know, in Umbraco, the *.aspx filename is created using the Title of the page.  Can this be worked around?  I need a page to be TITLED one thing but for the url to be specifically something else.  How do I do this?

Thanks,

Garrett

• Ricky Beard 61 posts 116 karma points
    Nov 04, 2009 @ 18:36
    Ricky Beard

You can override the file name by adding a generic property (text string) to your document type called umbracoUrlName. Umbraco will then use the value in that field to generate the url.

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Nov 04, 2009 @ 20:30
    dandrayne

I always add a page property of pageTitle to allow for this, then just add that into your template in the normal way.  You could either make this mandatory or use an xslt macro to fall back to the node name if no pageTitle is entered

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Nov 04, 2009 @ 21:12
    Kim Andersen

Ricky has the right answer for this one. Include a property with an alias of umbracoUrlName and datatype textstring. Just like it says here: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/umbraco-best-practices/umbracourlname

But as Dan says, it's always a good idea to give the users a chance to change the (meta)Title of the page. This is good for SEO you know ;)

• Garrett Fisher 341 posts 496 karma points
    Nov 04, 2009 @ 22:19
    Garrett Fisher

Thanks, that does the trick!

//Garrett

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Nov 05, 2009 @ 00:11
    Kim Andersen

Remember to mark this post as answered Garett :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft