Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Duncanson 430 posts 1360 karma points c-trib
    Nov 10, 2009 @ 13:38
    Peter Duncanson

Add fields to doc type or create sub doc types for in page blocks of data?

On our homepage we have a number of sections, each section uses the same design and mark up. My initial thoughts where to create a new doc type to store this data in which could be included for my homepage as child documents. This means I can just call a macro which can now handle any number of these sections (which will only be used on the homepage).

Another idea was to just create 4 sections (the amount the design currently wants) in the homepage document itself. This means cutting and pasting the HTML though to render them out but does would make editing the sections a breeze. Limits when adding any extra sections, but then would we need to (guess thats only a question we can answer)?

Got me thinking though, is it better to always create sub documents for instances like this? I'm a fan of it as I like having a DRY design but it does take a little longer to set up with all the doc type setting up and creating all the different content pages etc.

Additionally, how are people using this method managing to seperate out the different sub elements, how are you showing the different between sub-page elements and sub-documents? Simply icons? Any tips gratefully received :)

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Nov 10, 2009 @ 13:41
    Chris Koiak

Hi Peter,

You should have a look at http://our.umbraco.org/projects/repeatable-custom-content

I believe this datatype is designed to specifically tackle the issue you're discussing.

Cheers,

Chris

• Peter Duncanson 430 posts 1360 karma points c-trib
    Nov 10, 2009 @ 14:00
    Peter Duncanson

Nice find Chris! Will install it and have a play :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft