Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ashley 2 posts 23 karma points
    May 26, 2014 @ 06:16
    Ashley

Templates not creating relevant .master files.

Hi all, my name's Ashley - and I'm new to Umbraco.

Having a bit of difficulty getting my feet off the ground with this one. From all the documentation I can find it is my understanding that when I create a template (well actually, I create a document type which creates a template), it should automatically create a .master file in my Masterpages folder.

I'm not seeing this. I get .cshtml files created in my ../Views folder, but I don't think this is what I should be seeing.

Can anyone suggest where I may have gone wrong (or if this is even an issue at all?).

Thanks.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 26, 2014 @ 07:15
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ashley

I'm guessing that you have v7.x.x of Umbraco installed - That's why you don't see any .master pages but views instead. You have done nothing wrong. But there is a lot of documentation out there aimed for Umbraco 4 and 6, which by default use Webforms over MVC. But since Umbraco 4.10 was released it's been possible to choose either Webforms or MVC. The default has been Webforms up untill Umbraco 7 where the default has switched to MVC out of the box.

This can of course create a lot of confusion amongst newcommers since it's hard to figure out what documentation is valid for the Umbraco version one has installed.

Now if you need to use .master pages for a specific reason it's possible to change the template engine to use Webforms rather than MVC. It can be done by going to the /config/umbracoSettings.config on your file system and change it by writing "Webforms" in the

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft