Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daniel 15 posts 107 karma points
    Aug 03, 2014 @ 18:01
    Daniel

Create Data Type with data source as property of another node

Is it possible to set a dropdown list's prevalues to a parent node's property? For example, 

Products
         Model - Contains a MNTP of available categories
            Product - Contains Dropdown that points to the MTNP as data source

Is there a way to do this with xpath or a different datatype that I should use? Perhaps I am just not thinking of this in the right way, is there a better way to go about doing something like this?

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Aug 03, 2014 @ 19:44
    Hendy Racher

Hi Daniel,

Yes, if you're using Umbraco 7, you can do this with the Xml DropDown Picker in nuPickers, it can walk up the tree from the current node and parse the full Xml document (including properties) - just need to ensure that the picker on Model (to select categories) saves as Xml (again any nuPicker can do this).

HTH,

Hendy

Aug 06, 2014 @ 05:40
    Daniel

Hi Hendy,

Thanks for the response and the package, I can see myself using this a lot in the future. I'm using Umbraco 7, and this is exactly what I need, but it doesnt look like there is a way to change the multinode tree picker to an xml format as you could in the past versions of Umbraco :( unless I completely overlooked it. In the end it is only a UI issue(build too long of a list), but I was able to get this working with the nuPicker xml checkbox (model) saving as xml which gets read by the xml dropdown in a child node(product). Do you know offhand if there is a way to revert / change preference for the built in multinode picker to save as xml? Ive been digging around and all I can find is old articles 

Again, thank you so much for the package it has a lot of awesome data types. If you can offer me any more advice on the multinode tree picker I would appreciate it, but you have certainly given me a way to solve the issue.

- Dan

Aug 06, 2014 @ 10:39
    Hendy Racher

Hi Daniel,

I don't think you can change the MNTP save format in v7. If there's a large number of items to pick from, would the PrefetchList picker with a set height be of any use ?

Hendy

Aug 06, 2014 @ 10:53
    Hendy Racher

Just an idea... what about transforming the MNTP save data with a save event ?

Aug 06, 2014 @ 15:10
    Daniel

I'm sure I can work with one of those. Thanks for all the help!

• Daniel Bardi 927 posts 2562 karma points
    Jan 28, 2015 @ 20:37
    Daniel Bardi

This will not work until the node is published.. how would I get the nodes (pre publish) using IDotNetDataSource?

Jan 28, 2015 @ 21:09
    Hendy Racher

Hi Daniel, how do you mean ?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft