Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Vullings 2 posts 32 karma points
    Aug 15, 2014 @ 00:23
    Peter Vullings

Associating content with any other content - possible?

Hi all,

Just investigating CMS choices for a large corporate website. Umbraco is one of the top contenders, but I'd like to understand if what we are looking to do is possible.

Take the Content Types: Subject, Project, Person

We would like to associate content with each other so that only one instance of each content exists in the database but:

• If you view a Subject, all Projects relating to that Subject are listed, and so are all People related to that Project
    • If you view a Project, all People related to that Project are listed
    • If you view a Person, all Projects that person is related to are listed, and all Subjects that Person is related to are listed
    Basically we want to be able to associate (one way, or both ways) any content with any other content (note: NOT ContentType with ContentType, but Content with Content) so that we can surface them and display them in different ways in different parts of the website.

Does Umbraco handle this out of the box (I note it is primarilly heirarchical) or would this require some custom work (such as a table of relationships, and an editor to allow us to relate content with other content)?

Any insight appreciated!

Peter

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Aug 15, 2014 @ 09:32
    Dan Lister

Hi Peter,

I've never used them before but Umbraco has something called Relations. It allows developers to setup relationships between different types of objects within Umbraco. For example, content items, document types, media types. If you were to setup different content item relationships, you should be able to find all related objects based on your relations defined.

There is some API information on Our and an old blog post on umbraco.com if you want to read more about Relations.

Thanks, Dan.

• Peter Vullings 2 posts 32 karma points
    Aug 17, 2014 @ 23:35
    Peter Vullings

Fantastic - exactly what I am after. Thanks Dan!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft