Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bas Wensveen 54 posts 75 karma points
    Nov 27, 2009 @ 16:47
    Bas Wensveen

Document types and templates

Hey,

I could use some help with defining the document types and templates for the site www.mandjes.nl. I developed this site and build my own CMS for it a year ago. You are not surprised if I say that the CMS I build is less mature then Umbraco. That's the reason I want to develop this site also in Umbraco. I started, but struggling with the document types and templates I should define. 

regards,

Silversurfer

The Netherlands

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 27, 2009 @ 19:11
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bas

I think I would approach it this way...

Create a document type, which holds all the standard properties that all your pages need to have, such as the possibility to hide pages from navigation etc. - I would create all of the properties mentioned in the wiki under the "best practice section" http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/umbraco-best-practices

I would add them to the generic properties.

You could use this document type as your master, under which you create all of your other document types, so that they inherit these values from the master. You could also just copy from your basis document type to create the other document types. The downside is that if you need to add a general property to your document types you would need to add them to each of your document types, instead of just the master document type.

When the master is created I would create a document type called "frontpage" and one called "textpage".

On the frontend document type you have several options. You could create a new tab called "Content" on, which you then create three fields where you can reference the three images from your media library, and then add a text field or a content picker for instance under each of them, so you can control the links. You could also create three tabs instead. One for each image.

On the textpage document type I would create a tab called "content" and then I would add a property for the image (media picker), and a property for the text field (rich text editor).

I hope the above scenario is enough help to get you started? :)

/Jan

• Bas Wensveen 54 posts 75 karma points
    Nov 27, 2009 @ 21:05
    Bas Wensveen

Hi Jan,

The standard properties part I understand. In the second alinea you talk about "making this document type as your master". Do you mean the master template? If not, how can I make a document type the master.

For Mandjes I still not see a solution for the different type of information that is presented when I click "Consument" of "Zakelijk". they look the same, but the don't. The footer and the information on the right side is different. What I have done till now is the following:

- Created a master template (contains the structure that is equal to all pages)

- Created  a master page for the "zakelijk", "consument", and one for "Over Mandjes". And nested them with the master template

- I created a home, textpage and a two colom textpage document type.

The master of the home template (corresponds with the home document type) is master. And here I get confused. The one and two colom templates should be under "zakelijk", "consument" and "Over Mandjes", as you can see on www.mandjes.nl. But I don's know how to arrange this.

I really appreciate your help!

I could give you access to my development site if that's of any help to get a better understanding of what I have done. 

/silversurfer

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft