Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mikael Mørup 297 posts 326 karma points
    Dec 03, 2009 @ 10:11
    Mikael Mørup

Template for html based news letter + email

My client want to send out a HTML based email newsletter, this news letter should also be available as a page in the site.

I want to make a document type and template to support this.

The first problem i banged my head against is that all the references to images and links to other pages in the site are relative and will of course not work if you copy and paste the HTML into an email client.

Does anybody have any experiences with something similar ?

Is there a smarter way to do this ?

Thanks

Mikael

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Dec 03, 2009 @ 10:34
    Ismail Mayat

Mikael,

I have used Tim's excellent newsletter package and done some templating see also you may like this has some links regarding what will and will not work with different email clients, with regards to images in the content Tim's package handles it for you.  If you have any images in the template you willl need to prefix with full url eg http://www.mysite/media/3344/someimgae.jpg

Regards

Ismail

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Dec 03, 2009 @ 10:36
    Chris Koiak

It dependes on the Email Client/Service you are using. CampaignMonitor (and probably others) are ideally suited to the setup you're trying to create. They take your page via it's URL and will crete absolute paths for your images.

Dec 03, 2009 @ 11:12
    Mikael Mørup

Thanks guys, i will look into your suggestions

The problem is that my client wants to send the newsletter with (sigh!) outlook 2007.

This prevents a lot of stuff, like using float and positioning in the template / CSS.

But i might (and really want to)  persuade them to go with an Umbraco integrated solution.

Dec 03, 2009 @ 12:11
    Mikael Mørup

When i read the comments on Tim's blog i see that there seems to be some issues with sending mails to large membergroups an sending content with danish letter æ, ø and å, this will be a major problem for my client.

Does anybody know if theese issues have been solved or if there are any workarounds for them ?

Mikael

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Dec 03, 2009 @ 12:35
    dandrayne

Why not have a look at something like http://www.campaignmonitor.com/templates/ for some great-looking templates that work in outlook 2007, and at http://www.campaignmonitor.com/css/ to see what you can get away from.

Basically, when building email templates pretend like it's 1996.  Use frontpage if it helps get you in the zone!

I also can't recommend campaign Monitor highly enough for sending your emails.  Umbraco is a great CMS, not a great bulk email system.

Dan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft