Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Leon 2 posts 51 karma points
    Sep 18, 2014 @ 13:59
    Leon

parent to inherit fields and also template

First of all I want to salute all of you, beeing my first post :).

I have to implement a easy system for multiple editors to work on. Basicaly there are multiple pages, on which they will add or delete content, which could be easily done with a rich text editor. The problems is that we have a fixed design to stick on, something like a particular line with multiple colors under the header, which could be done with html code, that the editors will never ever want... so I have to hardcode everything. Until now, I've menage with a loop to read all the childs fields, but not the template. Is there an easy way to acheave this? Something like to put in the parrent @RenderBody(), or use a section? 

For the loop I've used this code:

@{

var page = Umbraco.Content(1050);

}

<h3>@Umbraco.Field("homepagecmscolumn1", recursive: true)</h3>

@foreach (var child in page.Children) { 

<hr>

//this is the child name

@child.Name

//this is the value from a rich text editor

@child.homepagecmscolumn1

}

Thank you for all the small tips/tricks.

P.s. I think that by doing it this way will be easier for them to stack multiple articles in a tree fashion, and having a link like:

http://example.com/parent    

instead of having:

http://example.com/parent/article1/

but I could be wrong :), 

• Danny Blatant 91 posts 358 karma points
    Sep 24, 2014 @ 20:05
    Danny Blatant

Hi Leon,

May I just say welcome to the community! Relatively speaking I'm quite new here too.

I'm not sure your question makes much sense though...

Are you asking about Template Inheritance (see here http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Reference/Templating/Masterpages/ )??

Or are you asking about how to style your list view of your articles? Or even how to structure your articles?

Kind Regards,

Danny "Blatant"

• Danny Blatant 91 posts 358 karma points
    Sep 24, 2014 @ 20:06
    Danny Blatant

PS> If it's Master Pages, or Master Templates then there's a really useful guide over at umbraco.tv too, with a video!

http://umbraco.tv/videos/umbraco-v7/implementor/fundamentals/templating/using-master-templates/documentation

• Leon 2 posts 51 karma points
    Oct 01, 2014 @ 11:10
    Leon

Hi Danny Blatant. Thank you for the answer. I've never think that someone will answer. I've browse the forrum and I've found more or less the same problems as mine, and without a direct answer, so I loose hope that someone will answer...

The problem I have is that I want to do a page with allot of custom fields (the number will be not known)... Because every couple of fields will have a different styling (like for instance a header title with a colored line under, and then some text, and a quote that will have the effective text surounded by a border and the owner of the quote under), ..so you see that the problem is that you have to create multiple pages with hardcoded styles. So to achieve this, the better think to do is use a main template and create a child that will have one or more fields hardcoded. The normal flow will be that you see the latest child like example.tld/category/nature/child for instance. The flow that will make sense in what I'm trying to achieave is example.tld/category/nature   and in the nature page template to load all the childs created under that tree, so at the end I will have for nature a dynamic page which loads all the values from the childs, and also their hardcoded template.

Until now I've manage to load only the value from the fields of the childs, and not the template.  So I want to achieave also this. But it's hard when you are a newby in umbraco. 

p.s. my coleague has a different aproach on this. and is to create one fild, from where the editor tries to use the predefined styles harcoded in TinyMCE, lihe header, or header with underline. Don't know if you see the problems that the editors have to trying to style a page with some harcoded styles, but personaly I think it's the most stupid idea ever heard, because they will never follow the design, and also never will get the flow of applying the styles right (p.s. the stiles that apply only css code, and not the ones in which you apply also custom html code). But unfortunaly for me, I'm the new one in the house, andd I've step back of this problem. Also I've have a different background (html, css, php, wordpress, joomla ..etc), so I've have to switch big time with this CMS.

Maybe there is a better answer to this problem, and I'm interested to hear it, and to propose it. At the end it's not how hard is to develop, but how hard will be for the editors to use.

Thank you!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft