Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tim 1 post 21 karma points
    Oct 06, 2014 @ 10:43
    Tim

Blocks of data on a page - what is the best approach?

Hello everyone, 

I am new to Umbraco and was wondering what is the best approach to organize content structure to include pieces of dynamicly added blocks on a site. Let's say I have services section on my home page, and there are service item blocks which are dynamicly added/deleted by the content editor through the backoffice. So where do I actually create this services folder, and service items? It must be also taken into consideration that I am developing multilanguage website.

The question is pretty much similiar to this one: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/templating/templates-and-document-types/29891-Blocks-in-Umbraco , but because I develop for multilang, I find it inconvienet to create any other nodes (for settings or these blocks) on the root level, because they will have to be copied to other languages.

So far I think of three ways to do this: 

1) Create services and service item document types, and include them under the Home page node. The disadvantage of this approch is the confusion between "real pages" and this kind of blocks. (though the workaround could be prefixing the name of "data/block" folder with underscore sign, e.g.  "_Services")

2) Create differents folders for "Pages" and for "Blocks" under under Home page node. Then I could use Url rewriting to overcome extra part which are added in the paths for pages. (so for example map "/pages/about-us" to "/about-us"

3) Use media types for these kind of blocks. About these I am not sure at all, becuase I see no option to copy items for other languages as it is done in document types.

Thanks

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 12, 2014 @ 16:23
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Tim and welcome to our :)

To me it sounds like you need to build a content repository, which contains your content blocks. You can do it in each site beneath the HomePage root or you can create a Blocks section, which will exist in the same level as your homepages. Doing it like this decentralizes the blocks and makes it possible to only have page-content beneath the Hompage document types.

Then you can also create folders for the blocks, which can then be seperated by language for instance.

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers, Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft