Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stefano Mostarda 3 posts 23 karma points
    Dec 10, 2009 @ 10:31
    Stefano Mostarda

Questions about template

Hi guys,

I'm evaluating umbraco and have a couple of border line scenarios I couldn't find a way to manage.

I have to create 70 sites but I want to maintain a unique installation of umbraco. This is pretty easy to do and I did it without any problem.

Now I have a problem wih the templates permission.

Each site is dedicated to a customer and each one can manage its template, its css and so on. From what I have discovered, There's no way to restrict a user to manage only its template and css. This means that a user who has access to the settings tab, can manage all templates/css and that's not acceptable for security reason.

The same thing apply for macros. I have some macro that some of my customers pay for. I don't want all customer to be able to add such macro to their template.

Is there any way I can handle this situation? I don't need a rapid solution or something like that, I will have no problem in working with Umbraco API's or other stuff like that. I just need to know if these tasks can be fulfilled using Umbraco otherwise I will resort to other CMS.

Thanks

Stefano

• Chad Rosenthal 272 posts 474 karma points
    Dec 10, 2009 @ 14:51
    Chad Rosenthal

Sorry, I'm confused, is this one site with 70 customer templates (ie each customer can see a customized view of the one site?) or is this 70 unique websites with nothing really in common?

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Dec 10, 2009 @ 15:23
    Douglas Robar

While you can run multiple sites within a single umbraco installation, this is best done within a single organization... such as for one company with internet and intranet sites, or one organization with multiple sites for different languages, or a big organization that has sites for the sub-organizations. The key thing here, though, is that there must be a measure of trust between the organizations because the macros and templates and css are not unique to each site, which is by design.

If you do not trust the various site owners to behave properly or simply want to keep prying eyes out of other's files then you'd simply need to run multiple umbraco installations... one per site. This is easily done and isn't a problem for IIS nor umbraco.

Hope that helps.

cheers,
    doug.

Dec 10, 2009 @ 15:25
    Stefano Mostarda

Hi Chad,

thirst of all thanks for replying.

Each customer has it's own template and stylesheet. They can share macros, but some of them must be available only for certain customers who pay for that macro. Each customer should be able to modify only its own template and css and see only the shared macros along with the one he pays for. Is there a way to specify these constraints in Umbraco?

Thank you,

Stefano

Dec 10, 2009 @ 15:28
    Stefano Mostarda

Hi Doug,

Thanks for replying. I don't want to create multiple installations because I have a similar situation now and that is driving me crazy. Anyway, now I know this can't be don with umbraco and that's an answer. This is exactly what I wanted.

Thank you very much

Stefano

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft