Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• batmanflys 30 posts 41 karma points
    Dec 21, 2009 @ 08:16
    batmanflys

Saving templates

I have recently moved my dev area to the production environment. I am able to open and save any other node except templates. When I push the save button nothing happens, no message no saving nothing. I have checked all the permissions on the server and they are all set to full control, especially masterpages and media

This is doing my head in, any ideas. My hosting is on a shared environment using plesk control panel.

Dec 21, 2009 @ 09:18
    batmanflys

Some further information I have managed to glean, this is what firebug shows me when i try to use the delete or save within umbraco admin:

umbraco is not defined
    doSubmit()editTemp...teID=1263 (line 18)

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Dec 21, 2009 @ 09:20
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Hmmm, this sounds familiar, but I'm not sure what the problem could be. Maybe you have an aftersave handler that's failing? 

My bet would be on something database related though. Check your umbracoLog table for errors, or even the windows event log if you have access to that.

Dec 21, 2009 @ 09:21
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Ah, after that reply: maybe it has something to do with the asp.net ajax extensions 1.0 not being installed on the server? Or are you using the .net 3.5 config?

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Dec 21, 2009 @ 09:24
    Dirk De Grave

If you're using Plesk, make sure to check this article. I've used this reference for several sites I run (albeit not on a shared environment) and works a treat.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

/Dirk

Dec 21, 2009 @ 09:27
    batmanflys

How can I check the umbraco logs?

Dec 21, 2009 @ 09:29
    batmanflys

Microsoft ASP.NET support Yes Version 2.0.50727.0

i am unsure if ajax ext are installed on teh server, i would assume so since it is shared server environment.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Dec 21, 2009 @ 09:32
    Dirk De Grave

umbraco logs can be found in the database table umbracoLog. If you can't get to the database remotely, use the Logviewer project found here.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Dec 21, 2009 @ 09:38
    batmanflys

Microsoft ASP.NET support Yes Version 2.0.50727.0

i am unsure if ajax ext are installed on the server, i would assume so since it is shared server environment.

Thanks for the link I have checked that and all IUSR accounts on the hosting for all the dir have full control and still no joy

Dec 21, 2009 @ 09:42
    batmanflys

Thanks for the link Dirk, I have installed the package and when I try to access it i get an error message

The string was not recognized as a valid DateTime. There is a unknown word starting at index 19.

Dec 21, 2009 @ 09:46
    Sebastiaan Janssen

If you use SourceSafe / Team System for source control, your files could be marked as read-only.

Also, make sure that the application pool is actually using IUSR account. 

Lastly, check if it works in other browsers, it might be some weird browser issue, or maybe you're being blocked by a firewall (yeah, that HAS actually happened to me).

Dec 21, 2009 @ 09:53
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Aha! I was typing my reply so I didn't see the DateTime one. It seems that your hosting provider is using different locale settings from your dev environment.  I told you it was probably a database problem.. ;-) 

Now if only I could help you fix it. The only thing I can tell you at the moment is that this line of Umbraco code seems to be failing:

SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery("update umbracoNode set createDate = @createDate where id = " + this.Id.ToString(), SqlHelper.CreateParameter("@createDate", _createDate));

Are you using 4.0.3 perhaps? It seems to have some trouble with dates..

Dec 21, 2009 @ 09:54
    batmanflys

another browser is worse i can't even access the admin area because of javascript error.

I have a theory which may explain what is happening and give a clue to a fix. The domain name www.yourdomain.com is currently registered witha website on another hosting environment. I am trying to set up their new environment before pointing the domain name to the new hosting environment. So that I can check the site I have modified my hosts file with server ip and alias as Umbraco cannot be accessed via ip address directly it would seem.

would the admin be falling over as the domain name is not www.mydomain.com or something similar? The front end of the site works fine.

Dec 21, 2009 @ 09:57
    batmanflys

Umbraco version: umbraco v 4.0.2.1 (Assembly version: 1.0.3441.17657)

I understand teh logic of what you are saying about the locale settings but the hoster is hosting my other sites including dev copy of this one that worked, surely same locale would apply. However it is worth asking them.

Dec 21, 2009 @ 10:05
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Hmm, I'm using the hosts file just fine, you might want to try to run (from your command line on your local machine): ipconfig /flushdns 
    Then restart your browsers completely to flush their dns caching as well.

What you're saying is interesting though, the dev copy of this site works fine on the hosting provider, but another version doesn't. Something must've changed between those versions. It might be worth it installing ELMAH to see which exception is being raised, so you can pinpoint the real source of the problem (it's pretty easy, drop in a dll file and add some lines to the web.config).

Dec 21, 2009 @ 10:14
    batmanflys

flush dns did not work. It is late now so I will try the ELMAH tomorrow, 4 hours and counting I think I need to step away form the machine before it ends up in the wall.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Dec 29, 2009 @ 07:59
    batmanflys

Solution for all: It was to do with my web hoster server. It was set up with classic pipeline but no one had set the AJAX mappings etc that need to be done manually for ASP 2.0. They are done automatically for ASP 3.5. Since then I have found that the codeplex for umbraco has an adjusted web.config file for just this problem. Dohl! oh well better than never knowing.

hosting provider explanation below:

Umbraco does not run under integrated pipeline hence, we had to move it to a classic pipeline. And on classic pipeline, IIS web handlers for a website needs to be configured manually. a4r.co.nz was missing on Ajax handlers and the admin panel appears to run on Ajax.
    Dec 29, 2009 @ 19:02
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Actually, your hoster is wrong, Umbraco works perfectly fine using the Integrated pipeline, however, you'd need to upgrade to the new .net 3.5 web.config. This is now recommended for each Umbraco installation as the 4.1 and later releases are going to be using this.

If you use this config, it is not needed to have the old ajax.net 1.0 extensions installed on the server. So, you might want to consider the upgrade just to be future-proof.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft