Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andrew Theken 1 post 21 karma points
    Mar 03, 2015 @ 17:27
    Andrew Theken

Storing Views in the Database

Hi All,

I'd like to install umbraco in a way that will allow multiple instances to be deployed, but to share media and views between them (think "load balancing").

The default installation appears to place media and views in subdirectories of the installed Umbraco instance. For media, it would appear that the data can be moved to a central location using either S3, Azure Blob storage, or custom IFileSystem providers.

It is not clear to me whether the same can be done with Views.

Is it possible to redirect storage of views to a virtual file system? If so, how would this be accomplished.

(I don't need code, just to know what classes/configuration is needed, I'm specifically using Umbraco CMS 7.x, if this is behavior has changed since previous versions.)

Thanks in advance.

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Mar 19, 2015 @ 17:07
    Tim

Presumably you could set up a virtual folder on the server for the views that points to shared storage of some kind?

I don't think you can change the views location to use Blob/IFilesystem out of the box (at least I'm not aware of it being possible, one of the Core team might have a better idea).

• Francesc Castells 3 posts 23 karma points
    Apr 12, 2015 @ 09:54
    Francesc Castells

I'm trying to install Umbraco in an Azure webrole and I'm having the same issues. In fact, I would extend the question to everything that can be created/edited from the Umbraco backend and it is stored in the local file disk. So, ideally, macros, templates, css, js... should be all stored in blob storage.

This way we could actually use the backend to edit these items. ATM, any change stored on a webrole instance's disk is not shared with the other instances and it's eventually lost when Azure decides to kill the instance

Also, I like having all the static content in blob storage because it can be easily updated without having to deploy the whole application. Also, with some configuration tricks, you can even have multiple versions of the static files and point to the version you like (this allows for fast and easy rollback if something goes wrong with an update).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft