Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rebecca Short 1 post 21 karma points
    Apr 17, 2015 @ 00:33
    Rebecca Short

Change a folder to be a page

Hiya,

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere - I'm totally new to Umbraco, having just started managing a site that is built with it. 

I've found a server error via Google Webmaster Tools on this site, and it's due to the fact that the page has been created as a folder (I believe) for sub pages. Is there a way I can change this, so that I can add some content to this page?

Thanks!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 17, 2015 @ 05:17
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Rebecca and welcome to our :)

I guess the right people to ask that question is your developers since no Umbraco instance is the same. When one initial installs Umbraco it's empty and it's up to the developer to decide how he is going to setup and structure the Umbraco website so it makes sense for the editors etc.

So it's hard for us to know the ins- and outs of your particular solution - But one way of fixing it could perhaps be to Create new item based on "Textpage" or whatever it's called in your system and then create the desired content on it and then move the nodes that currently exists under the folder to this newly created content node.

I hope this makes any sense.

/Jan

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Apr 17, 2015 @ 06:17
    Nicholas Westby

It seems strange that Google would ding you for having folders that contain pages (if I understand you correctly). However, if you do want to convert the folder to a page, there are ways of doing that, depending on what version of Umbraco you have. So, the quickest way to get an answer would be to let use know what version number. Also, a screenshot would be helpful too.

Here are some ideas in general:

• Convert Doctype. In newer Umbraco 7 versions, there is an option to convert a node from one type to another. This "type" is referred to as a "document type" or "content type" (those terms are used interchangeably). There is really no such thing as a folder in Umbraco, though nodes can act like folders.
    • Assign Template. You may be able to assign a template to the doctype of the so-called folder. And you could add some properties to that doctype. That would essentially convert that folder into a page.
    • Move Children. If you can't change the document type (e.g., if you are using Umbraco 6), you can still create a new node of a different type and move all the children to that new node, then delete the old node and name the new node so it has the same name as the old one. This is basically the scenario that Jan outlined above.

If there are a large amount of nodes to move, you can use a tool I built called the "Rhythm Data Processor". There are two versions (one for Umbraco 6 and one for Umbraco 7). One of the data processors is called "bulk move nodes" (allows you to select a bunch of nodes and move them to a new parent). Here are the links:

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 17, 2015 @ 06:27
    Jan Skovgaard

Ah yes totally forgot about the new "Convert doctype" option - Should have mentioned that in my initial response.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft