Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sunitha 9 posts 29 karma points
    Apr 18, 2015 @ 16:45
    Sunitha

Templates are not properly nested inspite of selecting their master templates

I am new to Umbraco and installed Umbraco 6. 

With the help of the link "http://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/getting-started-with-umbraco-part-1--pre-8498", I have added document types and while trying to nest the templates, it is not done. 

As shown in the picture, I am changing the master template to "BASE PAGE" for all templates and saving the changes ( as guided in the tutorial). But it is not updating. Where I were wrong. Please guide me. Its bit urgent.

Thanks in advance

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Apr 18, 2015 @ 17:14
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Sunitha and welcome to our :-),

If you have clicked save, then try to right click on the template folder and choose reload nodes, then the template should be nested under the BasePage template.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Apr 18, 2015 @ 17:27
    Sunitha

I have already reloaded the nodes Dennis, but not updated. 

Apr 18, 2015 @ 17:43
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Sunitha,

I was thinking any special reason why you are chosen Umbraco 6, instead of using the newer Umbraco 7? I will try to provide you some good links to learn Umbraco, and the first one is the Umbraco TV here is some videos showing the basic concepts of Umbraco, and these videos are made using the Umbraco 7 http://umbraco.tv/videos/umbraco-v7/

Other good resources could be this written documentation https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Using-Umbraco/Creating-Basic-Site/ and this article from the last year Umbraco advent calendar http://24days.in/umbraco/2014/how-to-set-up-an-umbraco-site/

Umbraco offers also courses where you can learn to work with Umbraco, and be a certified developer There are a level 1 and a level 2 certification. You can read more about this here: http://umbraco.com/products/training

Hope this can help you learning Umbraco.

/Dennis

Apr 18, 2015 @ 19:28
    Sunitha

Thank you Dennis, Will install Umbraco7 and check.

Apr 18, 2015 @ 19:49
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Sunitha,

You´re welcome. If you any further questions about Umbraco just create new topics in the forum with your questions. We are friendly people who loves to help each other with Umbraco. So don't hesitate to ask your questions. There are no questions there is to small or dumb to ask in here.

Hope you fall in love with Umbraco.

/Dennis

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 18, 2015 @ 19:54
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi guys

Did not read the post in details so forgive me if I'm off - Just commenting on the original question :)

Upgrading to Umbraco 7 won't fix this - As far as I know the template behavior is the same in 7.2.4 when changing the inheritance. So if it's not already filed as a bug/feature request on the issue tracker then it might be a good idea to add it since it's annoying that it does not work like it used to.

/Jan

Apr 18, 2015 @ 20:26
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Jan and Sunitha,

I just tried setup a vanilla Umbraco 7.2.4 installation, and setup the document types as Sunitha shows on the screenshot, when I choose the BasePage template as the master on a another template and hits the save button, then the choosen template will be nested under the BasePage template.

/Dennis 

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 18, 2015 @ 22:46
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi guys

Ok, just did a test on my 7.2.4 install again.

It works as Dennis says...partly :). The scenario that works is...

When you create a template and want to change it's parent to be "Master" you need to go to "Properties" on the template to setup which template it should inherit from. If I choose "Master" in here then the template is correctly moved to be a child of my "Master" template.

The reason why I have not thought of this is because that's not how it used to work and if I remember correctly it would be enough to just overwrite the path manually, which I have also been doing in my install. So the way that does not work on v7 is to simply change Layout = null; to Layout = "Master.cshtml"; then the visual change in the backoffice does not appear. It should act the same whether I do it using the dropdown or whether I'm overwriting the layout setting manually :)

Don't know if that could be the same issue in v6? (It's been a while since I had v6 running).

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft