Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chau 66 posts 97 karma points
    Feb 02, 2010 @ 23:59
    Chau

chinese characters turn into mush

Well actually they turn into question marks such as ?? or ??? or ????. Get it?

I am using the richtext editor to input chinese characters. Upon saving or publishing they turn into question marks.

My umbraco settings file reads as such:

<!-- the encoding type for tidy. Default is UTF8, options are ASCII, Raw, Latin1, UTF8, ISO2022, MacroMan-->
    <TidyCharEncoding>UTF8</TidyCharEncoding>

Does anyone know how to get this to work?

Thanks.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 03, 2010 @ 00:06
    Jan Skovgaard

Do they turn into question marks in the Umbraco backend or do they turn into question marks on the published page?

Either way try chaning your encoding to "gb2312" in the settings file if it's in Umbraco or try setting this in you HTML markup if it's on the pages

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=gb2312">
    Feb 03, 2010 @ 00:43
    Chau

@Jan - I changed the umbracoSettings config to the following since it was happening in the backend:

<!-- the encoding type for tidy. Default is UTF8, options are ASCII, Raw, Latin1, UTF8, ISO2022, MacroMan-->
    <TidyCharEncoding> gb2312 </TidyCharEncoding>

And got the following:

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: Requested value 'gb2312' was not found.

Changing it back to UTF8 still gives me lovely, but frustrating question marks. I am using traditional Chinese characters so I tried to use ISO2022 and got this error upon trying to save and publish:

Exception Details: System.Xml.XmlException: '', hexadecimal value 0x11, is an invalid character. Line 245, position 42.

I then tried to turn of the tidying option:

<!-- clean editor content with use of tidy -->
        <TidyEditorContent>false</TidyEditorContent>

That seemed to have no affect so I turned it back on. I then tried to change this from raw to UTF8 and ISO2022.

<!-- this area is for custom config settings that should be added during TinyMCE initialization -->
      <customConfig>
        <!--    <config key="myKey">mySetting</config>-->
        <config key="entity_encoding">UTF8</config>
      </customConfig>

That didn't work so I set it back to raw. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Feb 03, 2010 @ 00:44
    Chau

@Jan - I changed the umbracoSettings config to the following since it was happening in the backend:

And got the following:

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: Requested value 'gb2312' was not found.

Changing it back to UTF8 still gives me lovely, but frustrating question marks. I am using traditional Chinese characters so I tried to use ISO2022 and got this error upon trying to save and publish:

Exception Details: System.Xml.XmlException: '', hexadecimal value 0x11, is an invalid character. Line 245, position 42.

That seemed to have no affect so I turned it back on. I then tried to change this from raw to UTF8 and ISO2022.

<!-- this area is for custom config settings that should be added during TinyMCE initialization -->
      <customConfig>
      </customConfig>

Feb 03, 2010 @ 00:45
    Chau

And got the following:

<customConfig>
      </customConfig>

Feb 03, 2010 @ 00:45
    Chau

And got the following:

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: Requested value 'gb2312' was not found.

Exception Details: System.Xml.XmlException: '', hexadecimal value 0x11, is an invalid character. Line 245, position 42.

<customConfig>
      </customConfig>

• Umair 13 posts 75 karma points
    Mar 03, 2014 @ 23:30
    Umair

Hi

Is there any solution for this? I am getting question marks randomnly as well but I am sure its not missing characters because if i use the same character some where else in the same component it renders fine.

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft