Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jules 274 posts 585 karma points
    Feb 04, 2010 @ 19:19
    Jules

Global page fields...???

I have a fairly basic site design which includes a right hand column that contains 2 boxes that I want users to be able to edit.

The right hand boxes contain content that should be the same content on about 5 of the pages on the site.

The rest of the site will not have this right hand column.

So my question is about how you create a page field which displays the same content across multiple pages/templates without having to enter it more than once.

Is there some sort of global page field that can be used?

I think I am missing somethign quite basic so would be grateful if anybody could help out.

Cheers

J

• Laurence Gillian 600 posts 1219 karma points
    Feb 04, 2010 @ 19:26
    Laurence Gillian

One apporach would be to drive this with documents.

Then use a content picker to get the Content which could then be rendered out by an Macro.

So to do this you would need a new document type and content folder for your side modules, or if these are just summaries of existing pages just create the extra properties on these document types to hold the information.

I would love to draw you a picture! As its a lot easier than it sounds!

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Feb 04, 2010 @ 20:03
    Paul Blair

Another option is to add a property to your document type for the right hand column.

You can then populate the column on the home page and add it to your tempalte using the recursive option e.g.

<div id="rightColumn">
       <umbraco:Item field="rightContent" recursive="true" runat="server"></umbraco:Item>
    </div>

What this does is check a page (node) to see if the rightContent property is populated, if it is not then it will check it's parent all the way up to the root of the site. The advantage of this is that if you want to change the content on a particualr page to be different from the rest of the site you can.

Cheers

Paul

• Jules 274 posts 585 karma points
    Feb 05, 2010 @ 12:03
    Jules

Laurence I'm intrigued by your suggestion but do not understand it. Is there any further info that I can read up on to illustrate what you mean.

Paul, as a quick fix this worked!

Thanks

J

• Laurence Gillian 600 posts 1219 karma points
    Feb 05, 2010 @ 15:27
    Laurence Gillian

Yep I'll draw some pictures and do some screen grabs tommorow! :)

As I said, its pretty simple, I just don't have the english skills to explain it properly with out pictures! :P

Ta, Lau

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft