Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ivan 139 posts 302 karma points
    Feb 16, 2010 @ 21:53
    Ivan

How could i create a system with Categories and Subcategories for a document?

Hi:

I have a NewsItem document type and i need to organize it in categories/subcategories:

Category 1

• Subcategory 1.1
    • Subcategory 1.2
    • Subcategory 1.3

Category 2

• Subcategory 2.1
    • Subcategory 2.2
    • Subcategory 2.3

Whenever i create a NewsItem, it will be arranged acording to Subcategory inside a Category.

Using tags datatype here does not fulfill my needs. I am planning to make a document type for category, so i will get a node's tree like this:

- News Section
      - Category 1
        - Subcategory 1.1.
          NewsItem 1
          NewsItem 2
        - Subcategory 1.2
          NewsItem 3

Could anyone suggest me a different approach? Maybe a categories tree or multilevel selection datatype? I know my solution does the job but i would like to simplify the resulting tree getting something like that:

- News Section
      NewsItem1 (category/subcategory selected inside NewsItem document properties)
      NewsItem2 (category/subcategory selected inside NewsItem document properties)
      NewsItem3 (category/subcategory selected inside NewsItem document properties)

Thanks for your help!
    Ivan

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Feb 16, 2010 @ 22:56
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ivan

If I have understood your post correctly I think that I would make some tabs on the "NewsItem" document type called "Category" and "Subcategory" and then I would place som radiobutton properties on those tabs where the categories can be selected.

I understand why you want to keep the tree simple but maybe it could also be an idea to make a category type, so you have the categories beneath the "News Section" and then place the NewsItems in the appropiate categories and then select the subcategories from a tab on the NewsItem.

You could probably benefit from using the "AutoFolders" project for this.

I hope it all makes sense :-)

/Jan

• Ivan 139 posts 302 karma points
    Feb 17, 2010 @ 11:18
    Ivan

Hi Jan

Thanks for your suggestions!

After a talk with my customer i will use my first approach. The resulting structure is conceptually easier to understand for final backend users.

Bye! ;-)

Ivan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft