Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• shobhit agarwal 8 posts 108 karma points
    Nov 27, 2015 @ 12:40
    shobhit agarwal

Why template has its own URL in umbraco

I have created a template named it to "home page". then i have created a content tab for this and publish it with url suppose like "www.mydomain.com". but now i can see the same page is also accessible at "www.mydomain.com\homepage". Can anyone let me know why there is a page exists for each template in umbraco. this causes me content duplication issue in SEO. Will Appreciate help.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Nov 27, 2015 @ 23:28
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Shobhit Agarwal,

Each template don't have it's own urls. Home page are accessible via few urls because it's your first node and it's working as root of your site.

Dec 01, 2015 @ 07:17
    shobhit agarwal

Hi Alex

this is not the case. other templates are also accessible in my website with the same behaviour.

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Nov 30, 2015 @ 10:05
    Dan Diplo

Umbraco allows you to switch templates at runtime. So you can append a template alias to a URL and it will then render that page using that template. See https://umbraco.tv/videos/umbraco-v7/implementor/fundamentals/templating/alt-template/

So when you go www.mydomain.com\homepage it is passing in the template "homepage" to render the content (which just happens to be the default template, anyway).

I believe you can disable this behaviour in /config/umbracoSettings.config

Change disableAlternativeTemplates to "true" in web.routing:

<web.routing
        trySkipIisCustomErrors="true"
        internalRedirectPreservesTemplate="false" disableAlternativeTemplates="true"  
    disableFindContentByIdPath="false"
        umbracoApplicationUrl="">
      </web.routing>

And in 404handlers.config remove

<notFound assembly="umbraco" type="SearchForTemplate"/>

Dec 01, 2015 @ 08:17
    shobhit agarwal

Hi dan

Removing

<notFound assembly="umbraco" type="SearchForTemplate"/>

from 404handlers.config works good to me and resolves my issue.

However if i add disableAlternativeTemplates="true" to web.routing element in umbracoSettings.config i face some application error. is this attribute is specific to any umbraco version. please note i am using umbraco 7.x

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Dec 01, 2015 @ 08:34
    Dan Diplo

Sorry, don't really know what is causing the error - I was just basing this on the documentation. If removing it from 404handlers works, I'd just leave it :)

• Richard Hamilton 79 posts 169 karma points
    Dec 17, 2018 @ 11:57
    Richard Hamilton

I have been experiencing the same behaviour this week and didn't know this functionality existed.

I guess if you wanted to use this feature, you should probably name your templates with more unique names? Such as kWG8KDFy7z6Ow-Blog.cshtml

Because it seems that certain robots will try to find common names such as /blog or /contact

Any thoughts on this and how to use this functionality correctly?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft