Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kris Dyson 54 posts 79 karma points
    Feb 26, 2010 @ 11:42
    Kris Dyson

Media

Hi there, I am pretty new to Umbraco and have a question about showing media...

On the homepage there is a bar at the bottom in which I want to show pictures or videos... Each media item will consist of a large icon (png), small icon (png), optionally a flash video, optionally an image and optionally a hyperlink.

From my understanding so far, I could create a document type for each homepage media item, then create an XSLT macro that outputs the html for a video player, or gallery etc.  

However, I want inner pages to also potentially have different media of the same document type, displayed by the same macro... I would like the media items to be recursive, so if an inner page does not have media items defined it gets it from somewhere up the content tree.  I know you can use recursive properties in templates, but can you in macros?

Is this the right way to go about it?  

many thanks

Kris

• Lee Kelleher 4022 posts 15810 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Feb 26, 2010 @ 12:24
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Kris,

There are a few ways to tackle this...

My suggestion would be to create media-types (as opposed to document-types) for your various media item types. Then for your document-type (content pages) use the Tree Multi Picker to select which media items you want to display.  This will give you a comma-separated list of media node IDs.

In your Macro (assuming you are using XSLT?), you can use XPath to navigate through the content/node tree - so you can get property data recursively, e.g.

$currentPage/ancestor-or-self::node[string(data[@alias='mediaNodeIds'])!=''][1]/data[@alias='mediaNodeIds']

For displaying the media items in your XSLT, take a look at a couple of my blog post:

Ultimate Picker XSLT Example

How to use umbraco.library GetMedia in XSLT

That should give you a head start! Good luck!

Cheers, Lee.

• Kris Dyson 54 posts 79 karma points
    Feb 26, 2010 @ 12:41
    Kris Dyson

Hi Lee, thanks v much! I'll read more!

k

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft