Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Mar 17, 2010 @ 11:38
    Jan Skovgaard

Prompt to remember credentials in Internet Explorer...

Hey guys

This question is actually more related to .NET than it is to Umbraco but I hope it's ok to ask in here anyways.

I'm currently working on a site where there is a member-section one can login to see.

When I fill in the login form in Firefox I get prompted whether I want Firefox to remember my credentials or not.

Usually this stuff also works in Internet Explorer but on this solution it does not. And I can't really figure out why...

I have tested on diffrent machines and made sure that none of them had settings that disabled the function. I have never really seen this issue before since I think it's usually default to be prompted in IE also when there is an input field with the type set to "password"...But I don't know if there's a setting in ASP.NET somewhere that can cause this?

/Jan

• webangelo 107 posts 190 karma points
    Mar 17, 2010 @ 14:11
    webangelo

Since you didn't specify, do you have the DisplayRememberMe set to true in the Login control?

Mar 17, 2010 @ 14:33
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi webangelo

Thanks for your reply. This could be a solution.

But it's the browser's own prompt I'm missing and wondering if there is something I can do about it. The one where the browser asks if you want it to remember your credentials...

/Jan

• Nik Wahlberg 639 posts 1237 karma points MVP
    Mar 17, 2010 @ 14:45
    Nik Wahlberg

This thread may be a clue as to why you're not seeing it. If you've told IE to NOT ASK AGAIN (sort of thing), then it won't prompt to save.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t78120-have-ie-prompt-to-save-user-name-and-password.html

Cheers,
    Nik

Mar 17, 2010 @ 15:48
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Nik

Thanks for your tip even though I was aware of that part and have checked all the settings that I could find.

And it is'nt set to "don't ask again"...that's what is really confusing me. I have also tested on some of my colleagues machines where the settings are also right. And the prompt just does'nt appear.

If I try to login to another site in IE like twitter for instance I get the prompt...I have also deleted all private data in IE but that does'nt seem to do the trick either...

It's driving me nuts.

In my first post I forgot to mention that I have modified the login-script from the "umbracoUtilities" package and therefore the trick with the asp.net login control seems to be a no-go.

/Jan

• Nik Wahlberg 639 posts 1237 karma points MVP
    Mar 17, 2010 @ 16:08
    Nik Wahlberg

Hmm, the only other thing I found was this. Not sure that this will be very helpful, but it may lead you to other resources:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1621596/ie-not-offering-to-save-password-of-asp-net-form

Good luck.

-- Nik

Mar 17, 2010 @ 21:17
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Nik

That post was exactly what I was looking for, but had no luck to find it myself. At least now I know what's the cause. Now I just need to figure out the best way to fix it.

Thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft