Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Polity 5 posts 30 karma points
    Apr 07, 2010 @ 10:57
    Polity

ASP.Net GetXmlNodeByXPath with mutliple site roots

Hi Guys,

Using Umbraco 4.0.2.1, i ALWAYS have a menu included on my page, therefore i use the following source in a foreach in the xslt responsible for rendering the menu:

umbraco.library:GetXmlNodeByXPath('.')/node[string(data [@alias='umbracoNaviHide']) != '1'

This used to work fine untill we decided to implement multilanguage using multiple site roots. Basicly, GetXmlNodeByPath('.') does not give a damn about the current site root and just starts with the very most top level node which i assume to be the Top level (System?) 'Content' node.

Actually, i'm not creating this site from scratch but editing an existing one and i had no influance in the initial development process, therefore i would like to make as few changes as possible.

My question is: What would be a good way of rendering the main menu with respect to the current active site root?

Altough i would be able to fall back to the area of my knowledge which is .NET and usercontrols on average and rewrite the submenu there, yet this would imply a major change and it excludes a learing change :)

Cheers in advance for helping me out!

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Apr 07, 2010 @ 11:12
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Polity,

You do not need that library method for this - you should be able to get a reference to the current site root like this:

<xsl:variable name="siteRoot" select="$currentPage/ancestor-or-self::node[@level = 1]" />

- then use that in for-each/apply-templates to render nodes:

<xsl:for-each select="$siteRoot/node[not(data[@alias = 'umbracoNaviHide'] = 1)]">
    </xsl:for-each>

/Chriztian

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Apr 07, 2010 @ 12:43
    Sebastiaan Janssen

You don't even need the @level = 1 because the root node is called "root", so ancestor-or-self::node will stop at level 1 anyway.

(which also means that you can still get to the root node outside of this site by doing ancestor-or-self::root).

Apr 07, 2010 @ 12:52
    Chriztian Steinmeier

@Sebastiaan: Not entirely correct sir :-)

Try this (when $currentPage is at, say, level 3 or 4):

<xsl:value-of select="count($currentPage/ancestor-or-self::node)" />

versus this:

<xsl:value-of select="count($currentPage/ancestor-or-self::node[@level = 1])" />

There's a difference, right?

/Chriztian

Apr 07, 2010 @ 12:58
    Polity

Works like a charm (also without the level filter as pointed out by Sebastiaan).

Thnx for the help

Apr 07, 2010 @ 13:02
    Polity

@Criztian,

Your right, the behaviour should be different although this is not in my case because i have a extra filter (only selecting those wo are children of a certain top-level document type).

I can recommend explicitly using the level filter due to the fact that it makes the code better understandable (you explicitly specify you only want the nodes from the top level.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Apr 07, 2010 @ 15:20
    Sebastiaan Janssen

@Criztian Very cool, I never thought of that! Because of the filter you only get one node back, clever. I do suppose it performs a LITTLE worse because of the filter, but it shouldn't be noticable.

Apr 07, 2010 @ 18:16
    Chriztian Steinmeier

@Sebastiaan: Would be cool to do some performance tests on that. My guess is the filter version is better performance wise, 'coz I think that's one of the areas where an XSLT processor goes out of its way to optimize stuff.

/Chriztian

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft