Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Apr 08, 2010 @ 21:40
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Rich / simple text editors cause long loading times

I'm making a document type (Umbraco 4.0.3) that has 12 rich text editors on it. At first, I had created the properties of type "Textstring" but it turned out that the client needed more advanced editing. So I turned them all into RTE's.

But imagine my horror when suddenly it takes 30+ seconds to load a document in the backend! I turned them all into Simple Text editors as a compromise, but it still takes 10+ seconds to load. What's going on? When they're textrstrings, the loading time is about a second, which is just fine.

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Apr 08, 2010 @ 21:49
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Sebastiaan,

I once worked on another CMS system where we had a similar problem (using a 3rd party .NET WYSIWYG component) - we had to allow for developers to make them "lazy-loading" by rendering the resulting HTML with a "Click to edit" button, that turned the field into a WYSIWYG when clicked only. There was a lot going on client-side that we couldn't circumvent in any way, so we had to do this.

I don't know how much initialization TinyMCE does, but it sounds like the same kind of scenario...

/Chriztian 

• Lee Kelleher 4022 posts 15810 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Apr 08, 2010 @ 22:15
    Lee Kelleher

Sebastiaan, have you viewed the HTML source of the page/frame (in the back-office)? Definitely sounds like heavy JavaScript loading/initialisation!

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Apr 10, 2010 @ 11:30
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Thanks for your input guys. I'm glad to tell you that this has now been fixed and wasn't a problem with Umbraco but with a sucky connection to a remote database. I moved everything over to my local machine now and it's smooth as a baby's bottom now!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft