Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jan 54 posts 74 karma points
    Apr 28, 2010 @ 11:05
    Jan

Newbie quick question about master page properties removing inherit to childpages.

hey there. i have 4 properties that are only relevant on the masterpage - i have added the Recursive="true" to the property to keep the data on childnodes

my problem is that hen you go to content and see master page - there are the 4 properties - good thats what i want

but when i make a childpage on the master page and go to check its properties - the 4 masterpage properties are there also!! how to i prevent them to be inherited to childpages ??? i dont want them to appear on the childpages at all - since they take up space and might confused the site owner.

i have tried to look through the various settings and options on properties but i must have missed something

any help appreciated thanx!

• Tobias Neugebauer 52 posts 93 karma points
    Apr 28, 2010 @ 11:28
    Tobias Neugebauer

Hello,

i think you mix Templates and DocumentTypes up a bit :) They are totally disconnected since each DocumentType can be mapped to each Template.

If you inherit your DocumentTypes from another DocumentType the Propertys are inherited. In your case you need to disconnect this inheritance and create a new DocumentType which does not inherit (from the DocType with the 4 Props). The new DocumentType can still use the inherited Masterpage and recursive items should still be good.

Hope this helps a bit

Toby

• Anders Burla 2560 posts 8256 karma points
    Apr 28, 2010 @ 11:28
    Anders Burla

Hi,

You have to create 2 document types. 1 for the master and 1 for the pages.

IF you want to have, let say a rich text editor on both document types, you can make a base document type that the 2 other document types inherit from

• Anders Burla 2560 posts 8256 karma points
    Apr 28, 2010 @ 11:29
    Anders Burla

Wow. Tobias you beat me by 14 seconds :)

Apr 28, 2010 @ 11:36
    Tobias Neugebauer

wow! that is close.. never mind ;)

• Jan 54 posts 74 karma points
    Apr 28, 2010 @ 13:36
    Jan

urgh im having a hard time explaing thing . ok :)

I got a masterpage - (with own template&document type) it has been assigned 4 properties  - phone - address - fax - website - these are used on the template of the masterpage - a contentplace holder to show subpages in.

i then have a subpage (with own template&document type)- it has different properties - bodytext-title-etc-etc which are used on the template for that said subpage. - with said info being show in the masterpages contentplaceholder.

now if i go to content and make a master page - i can alter the 4 properties - phone - adress - fax - website - good thats what i want.

i then make a subpage and look at its properties - it has its bodytext-title-etc-etc AND it also had the properties from the masterpage - empty fields! - so if i add anything to them . then when that page is viewed on the site - the master template gets it info changed -

i would really like that the subpage content did not list these properties at all since they are not usefull at all in this case.

i hope thats better explained. - i hope so - :(

Apr 28, 2010 @ 14:28
    Tobias Neugebauer

Hi,

I'm afraid I can't follow your explenations but I would like to help! Maybe you could take some Screenshots and upload them somewhere to get a better understanding of what you try to accomplish.

Toby

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Apr 28, 2010 @ 15:00
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Jan,

As Toby explained, it seems to be how your Document Types are structured.  If you have nested Document Types, i.e. the "sub page" doc-type is under the "master page" doc-type, then all of the properties from "master page" will be displayed in the "sub page" (in the content view).

I can appreciated that this can be confusing.

What you should do is create a separate "sub page" doc-type, so that it is NOT nested below the "master page" doc-type. This way you can have whatever fields/properties for your content pages, and they are separate from the "master page".

Hope this makes sense? Let us know how it goes.

Good luck, Lee.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft