Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• North Krimsly 59 posts 80 karma points
    Jun 03, 2010 @ 04:51
    North Krimsly

How to specify master page template

Greetings all,

I have a newbie question for you-- I have the Runway minimal website installed.  I want to leave the Runway files up so I can refer to them as I build my site which will replace the Runway site.  I've created a new master page for my site, but I'm unsure how to specify that the site should use my new master page instead of the Runway master page.  How do I tell Umbraco that my new master page is the correct one to use for the site?

Thanks for your help,

-NorthK

• Lee Kelleher 4022 posts 15810 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jun 03, 2010 @ 10:45
    Lee Kelleher

Hi NorthK,

Not sure what steps you've taken so far, so I'll go through them anyway.

Once you've created a new master template, you need to associate it with a document-type.  You can do this by going to the document-type for your homepage (or which ever you want to use the new template) ... you'll see a checkbox-list of all templates, select the one you want, hit save. You also have the option to specify a default template for that document-type.

When you create new content pages (nodes), go to the Properties tab and select the template you want to use.

Hope this helps?

Good luck, Lee.

• North Krimsly 59 posts 80 karma points
    Jun 07, 2010 @ 01:12
    North Krimsly

Thanks for your reponse Lee.  I think what you are saying is, there can be many master pages-- what controls which master page is used, is defined in each content page.  When the URL is loaded for a particular content page, it knows which master page to use since that master page has been associated in the content page.  Is that correct?

Thanks,

-NorthK

• Lee Kelleher 4022 posts 15810 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jun 07, 2010 @ 01:15
    Lee Kelleher

Hi NorthK, yes that's correct.  Have a play around with the various settings, you should get a better understanding that way.

Feel free to ask any questions, we're here to help.

Cheers, Lee.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft