Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Dyson 50 posts 147 karma points c-trib
    May 06, 2014 @ 12:25
    Robert Dyson

Starter Kits - Umbraco 7

Is there any documentation on creating Starter Kits for Umbraco 7?

I am creating a lot of similar sites and want to avoid just making a copy of the project..

Rob

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 06, 2014 @ 13:13
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Robert

You could use a version control system like git/mercurial to keep a repository of your basic site and start out from that one each time you create a site for instance.

I usually use this approach and have my base install in CE SQL so it can be part of the version control. When I start out on a new project I migrate the CE SQL database to MSSQL and change the connection string and then add the site to IIS.

Could this be an approach for you?

/Jan

May 06, 2014 @ 13:54
    Robert Dyson

Yes, 

Thanks for your response.

I use SVN for version control and usually just copy all the Views etc. The hard part for me is the database... After I have added all the document types and content etc. I would like to take a copy of the database with a current snapshot of the content. I always seem to have a load of history from building the site which I don't want.

That's why I like the starter kits because they don't seem to have a ton of history. Is there an easy way to clear all the history of pages and recycle bins etc. Then I think I could just follow your advice having the CE SQL Database etc and just use the whole thing as my template.

Regards,

May 06, 2014 @ 15:01
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Robert

Well you could perhaps just create a package in the "Developer" section where you can create a package to include your document types, content strucutre (If you like to have a basic structure in the content section), datatypes, templates and custom files and then on a clean installation you can just install that package and then you can put it in SVN and each time you start a new project you can make a pull from SVN and copy it over to the new project folder and start out from there.

If you just need the document types you should be able to export them from the "settings" section so they can be imported in your clean install.

The benefit of having a base installation is that when you learn something new for instance a best practice setting in the web.config you can add it to your base once and for all and you don't need to think about it in new installations.

I hope this helps.

/Jan

May 06, 2014 @ 15:26
    Robert Dyson

Yes having a package sounds like a good option. However I'm worried that is might become a really complex package. I feel I'm almost there with the original idea of copying the entire project. So, do I take it there is no simple way of removing the history of content pages?

May 06, 2014 @ 16:41
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Robert

By the history of content pages...are you thinking about versions? If so then it should be possible to remove those versions in the database. Perhaps the unversion package can even help you doing that?

/Jan

May 06, 2014 @ 18:12
    Robert Dyson

Jan,

Yes, I'm thinking about versions.

Unversion is just what I am looking for. Sadly it doesn't seem to be ready to work with Umbraco 7. 

I suppose I can try and contact the contributor to see if there will be an update...

Rob

May 06, 2014 @ 20:51
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Robert

Or perhaps help him by making a PR if you know how to fix it perhaps? :)

/Jan

May 06, 2014 @ 21:02
    Robert Dyson

I'm not sure what a PR is, I assume it's making a contribution to his code? I would love to if I was good enough with Umbraco ;) Perhaps one day...

Regards,

Rob

May 06, 2014 @ 21:23
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Robert

PR is short for "Pull Request" - Well, perhaps some day :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft