Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Istvan Pszota 59 posts 191 karma points
    Jun 21, 2014 @ 13:43
    Istvan Pszota

Custom Section using webforms

Hi!

I would need some help on how to achieve the following: I need to create a custom section in Umbraco 7, but without the "Angular" -approach.

Already checked many tutorial regarding how to create custom sections using angular, but i want something hybrid like the Users section. (it uses Angular to load the editor, but the editor is a webform in an iframe)

I have my custom section and tree, but i can't figure out how to show webform content using iframe.

The project will be a back office application and create it using web forms would be much faster for me then learning the whole Angluar thing right now.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks, Istvan

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jun 22, 2014 @ 19:21
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Istvan,

I don't know if this can be at any help for you building your custom section. But Markus Johansson, have created to blogposts about who to create a custom section for Umbraco 7.

http://www.enkelmedia.se/blogg/2013/11/22/creating-custom-sections-in-umbraco-7-part-1.aspx

http://www.enkelmedia.se/blogg/2013/11/22/custom-sections-in-umbraco-7-%E2%80%93-part-2-the-views.aspx

As I said I hope this can be a help in the right direction

/Dennis

Jun 23, 2014 @ 10:44
    Istvan Pszota

Hi Dennis!

The above blog posts are excellent starting points. I have created my customsection and tree based on them. However Markus creates the view using AngularJS, so the posts does not provide complete solution for what i'm looking for!

Thanks, Istvan

• Andreas Iseli 150 posts 427 karma points
    Jun 29, 2014 @ 21:27
    Andreas Iseli

Hi Istvan

There is no other approach than using AngularJS for the view integration in Umbracos backend. Everything is based on REST calls and the backends frontend itself is a single page application. When you have a closer look at the URL you will notice the hashtag (#) followed by specific page information. That's the URL routed by angulars ng-route module which will also be used to inject your view definitions (controllers, views, services).

Regards
    Andreas 

Jun 30, 2014 @ 08:00
    Istvan Pszota

Hi Andreas!

There must be a way to do it. If you check the HTML source of the Umbraco back office Users - Edit User page: an .aspx file is loaded, using iframe.

<div ng-controller="Umbraco.LegacyController" id="legacyContainer" style="width: 100%; height: 100%;overflow: hidden;" class="ng-scope">
        <iframe name="right" id="right" ng-src="/umbraco/users/editUser.aspx?id=0" src="/umbraco/users/editUser.aspx?id=0"></iframe>
    </div>

Also, in the discussions (http://www.enkelmedia.se/blogg/2013/11/22/custom-sections-in-umbraco-7-%E2%80%93-part-2-the-views.aspx#comment-1271427126) Markus mentions: "The content and media sections are build with the new "Angular"-approach while other parts is just wrappers around the "old" V6-webforms."

This is where my idea came from.

Thanks, Istvan

• Andreas Iseli 150 posts 427 karma points
    Jul 02, 2014 @ 11:23
    Andreas Iseli

Hi Istvan

You are right concerning the backwards compatibility that exists for the old trees (legacy forms). But those are obsolete so you should use the new tree controllers instead. It's just my suggestion for now, but you are free to integrate any HTML form at the moment. Just have a look how an existing section has been integrated.

Andreas

• Robert Graham 22 posts 90 karma points
    Dec 02, 2015 @ 11:15
    Robert Graham

Hi Istvan,

Did you ever get this to work for aspx web forms?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to re-use a load of existing Umbraco customisation without my client having to pay to re build the hole thing.

My hope is that Umbraco will allow any valid web based technology via the iframe approach - that way people can develop any way they see fit and proper.

Thanks

Rob

Dec 02, 2015 @ 13:38
    Istvan Pszota

Hello.

Unfortunately i could not get this to work. We have implemented the solution in ver. 6...

Let me know please if you manage this to work.

Regards, István

Dec 02, 2015 @ 14:50
    Robert Graham

Hey,

I have added another post today asking for some help.

I nearly have a working example but need to work through some issues first.

Will share with you when I get it nearly there.

Ta

Rob

• Comment author was deleted

Dec 02, 2015 @ 15:02

It should just be possible, the only thing that you need to take into account is that the new way of doing trees in v7 only allows angular pages, but if you create your tree the old way it should still be possible to use webforms/mvc

Check out the sourcecode for Optimus,that adds a tree and webforms edit page https://github.com/TimGeyssens/BundlingAndMinificationForTheMasses

• Comment author was deleted

Dec 02, 2015 @ 15:03
    Dec 02, 2015 @ 15:27
    Robert Graham

Tim,

Thanks for responding.

Could you have a quick look at my post from earlier today please?

Any ideas would be greatly received.

Thanks

https://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/73384-legacy-tree-problem-latest-version-7-umbraco

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft