Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jesper Hauge 298 posts 487 karma points c-trib
    Aug 27, 2014 @ 16:28
    Jesper Hauge

Custom file upload not storing file

Working on a custom property editor for use on media documents. Editor contains a file upload. All is working fine on the client side, and on save a post is sent to /umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoApi/Media/PostSave exactly as when using the built in File media type. I am using fileManager.setFiles() to attach files to the form post.

Have checked the post using fiddler, can see that both json data for the form, and data for the file itself is in the post. In fact the only difference between the two posts is the contentTypeAlias of the form data and the property data.

Problem is that the api controller doesn't store the file that is being posted, but still reports back with a "Media saved without any errors" response.

Question is: Is there anything in the backend preventing recieving uploaded files and storing them, when the posting property editor is not a built in file upload property editor. I've based my custom editor on the code from the built in file upload editor.

Basically it's a file upload editor, without handling of images, and without the possibility of uploading a new file or removing already uploaded file. Controller looks like this:

function docStoreFileUploadController($scope, $element, $compile, imageHelper, fileManager) {
        function initialize() {
            $scope.originalValue = $scope.model.value;
            $scope.persistedFiles = [];
            $scope.files = [];

if ($scope.model.value.hasOwnProperty("selectedFiles")) {
                var filenameArr = $scope.model.value.selectedFiles.split(",");
                if (filenameArr.length > 0) {
                    $scope.persistedFiles.push({ name: filenameArr[0] });
                }
            }
        }

initialize();

$scope.$on("filesSelected", function(event, args) {
            $scope.$apply(function () {
                fileManager.setFiles($scope.model.alias, args.files);
                $scope.files = [];
                var newVal = "";
                for (var i = 0; i < args.files.length; i++) {
                    $scope.files.push({ alias: $scope.model.alias, file: args.files[i] });
                    newVal += args.files[i].name + ",";
                }
                $scope.model.value = { selectedFiles: newVal.trimEnd(",") };
            });
        });
    }

angular.module("umbraco")
           .controller('Docstore.FileuploadController', docStoreFileUploadController);

Have tried locating the code in the backend that handles the upload, no luck yet.

Regards Jesper

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5270 karma points MVP 2x
    Aug 28, 2014 @ 03:09
    Shannon Deminick

Yes, it is the responsibility of the property editor to save the file. So to answer your question:

Question is: Is there anything in the backend preventing recieving uploaded files and storing them, when the posting property editor is not a built in file upload property editor. I've based my custom editor on the code from the built in file upload editor.

YES

When a file is posted with json, we flag the file with the id of the property type, then when we pass the info to the property editor to retrieve the data to be stored in the db, we also pass it some 'additional data' which will include the file(s). It's up to the property editor to then deal with this data.

Have a look here:

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/7.2.0/src/Umbraco.Web/PropertyEditors/FileUploadPropertyValueEditor.cs#L87

• steschu 88 posts 489 karma points
    Jul 01, 2019 @ 18:48
    steschu

Hi,

Probably I ran into the same problem today.

Copied the \Umbraco\Views\propertyeditors\fileupload\fileupload.html into my App_Plugins Folder for the UI and used the code parts from \Umbraco\Js\umbraco.controllers.js as the controller logic. Renamed the controller name and the function, so that there a no naming conflicts.

Everything seems to work on the client, but there isnt't any file uploaded. As I understand it is because my property editor's alias is My.UploadField and not Umbraco.UploadField that causes the logic not to do the upload, right?

Unfortunately the link above is not valid anymore. But actually I do not understand how to handle the upload by myself. Is there any tutorial, example or package that I can have a look on it?

Kind regards, Stephan

• steschu 88 posts 489 karma points
    Jul 03, 2019 @ 14:30
    steschu

Can anybody say something to this issue? What I simply want to achieve is creating a file upload editor that basically is the same as the built in, but has some slight differences in html markup.

• Keith Flowers 3 posts 83 karma points
    Aug 01, 2019 @ 01:12
    Keith Flowers

Hi Stephan,

Not sure if this is still a problem for you, I've managed to achieve what you are attempting by creating a DataEditor (in U8 - if you're on U7 it's a PropertyEditor) and using PropertyEditorAsset attributes to define my plugins assets.

I then delved into Umbraco 8 source code to part replicate how Umbraco handles the save etc against their FileUploadPropertyEditor and made sure I had a composer set up to register the property editor, and now have a working replica of the File Upload control.

I think you absolutely need your own property editor to make this work.

Hope this helps, Keith.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft